Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker rattle on a widescreen tv

Options
  • 22-11-2003 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

I have a Philips 32" widescreen tv, can't remember the model, it's about four years old. It's on a wooden tv stand, no extra speakers connected.

Whenever there's a deep bass on the soundtrack i.e thunder, loud orchestral soundtrack etc., the speakers rattle very noticeably on both sides. I tried putting something soft under the tv to seperate it from the wood, this reduced the problem a bit but it's still very noticeable.

Anyone know if this might simply be a matter of too much volume or bass, or is it a fault with the tv speakers themselves, necessitating a repair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Has this always happened or is it just a recent occurence?
    Sounds to me (no pun intended) that the speakers can't handle the bass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

As far as I can remember it's done it for a couple of years now, don't think it did it right at the start but can't really remember that far back :)

Strangely some DVDs like The Matrix are fine at a given volume, but play something like Raiders of the Lost Ark at the same volume and it's rattle ahoy.

Still, thinking of getting a new Panasonic 100hz tv and 6.1 surround so might settle for that way of solving the problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

you might have a standing wave (basically the physics of the TV and/or stand and/or room result in certain frequencies being amplified- hence the variance between DVDs you've tried).

putting speakers in a corner will amplify the bass - if the TV is in a corner then chances are the speakers will have a greater

also the speakers might be loose - one or more of the fixing screws inside the TV might not be secure - fixing this yourself would probably be dangerous (I recall someone telling me about large capacitors with charge of 240+ volts) and would definitely void the warranty

of the three I suspect the first is your problem - see what happens when you move the TV into another place int he room - or better still into a another room. try using the same sequence on a DVD to do this test - should only take 30mins or so.

Advertisement