Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do format a HD????

Options
  • 22-11-2003 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

When i go to format drive c: it tells me windows needs stuff on the drive........and wont format. I've ended most processes that i can. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You need to boot into dos to format the drive, using fdisk its normally pretty easy.

Search google and and you will out all you need very quickly.

Make sure you backup anything you need do and that you have drivers to reinstall your bits and pieces

Edit/
    In work borred so here I found a site for all you need to know
    http://pcsupport.about.com/library/weekly/aa082602b.htm

/Edit

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Get partion magic it's easier.....Kazaa Lite is you're friend if you dont have the money to pay for a *cough* legal version:cool: .

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

If you have any support cds/floppys which came with your computer, use them. Boot machine up with those cupport cds in, they are also a boot disc. I know Dell do this. You can format hard disc from those, their handy if your machine is f**ked and you cant get onto the net to download stuff.
    If you arent experienced with formatting hard discs I would use these boot discs.

And yes BACKUP EVERYTHING.

Hertz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

you could put the drive into a mates machine and set the drive to a slave. then boot from the master disk (ie. your mates disk) and use windows to format it.

Advertisement