Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway Sleepers wanted

Options
  • 22-11-2003 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for railway sleepers in good shape, about 80 I reckon although could be 90 depending on how things go.

So anyone know anywhere I can get them, I've called a lot of garden shops and hardware stores around but none have the,:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try the Irish Rail depot in Port Laoise, I think they do all the relaying for the whole country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

i got about 80 earlier this year from a local diy supplier (m j currans) in dungarvan. They were imported from estonia and 95% were in v good condition, they were pine. I do not think currans imported them. Expect to pay 25-30 euro each.
    I priced sleepers from other sources, even english webpages and currans were the cheapest.
    jt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

buy 'n sell

loads of adverts for sleepers in there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There's a place on the corner in Clarecastle selling them. I've no details but there's a big sign saying "Railway Sleepers for sale"

They were also selling them at the depot in Port Laoise, at least till recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

that place in Clarecastle is not the cheapest of pleaces to buy sleepers...... I'd seriously check the buy n' sell. I think the ones in Clarecastel where something like €3 per foot.

p.s. Sceptre, are you located in Clare?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Da thing about sleepers, like all sleepers, is that they smell! So. for christmas sake don't put them in your house!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, people have become aware of the trendiness of sleepers and have begun charging for them in true ripoff ireland style. €15 per sleeper was the last I've heard, but I could be wrong. If you want a lot of them (and 80 or 90 is a LOT), you may be cheaper with bog standard lumps of wood, an axe and a barrel of creosote.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The difference is most timber railway sleepers are c. 100+ years old and have been weathered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Found Irish sleepers Grade A for €18, there very good indeed.

There a place about 20 minutes from me they get delievered the old tracks cut in lengths with the sleepers still attached, they remove the sleepers and sell them and recycle the steel!!

They have any ammount you like.

If anyone would like the number give me a shout.

Thanks for the help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Beëlzebooze
    p.s. Sceptre, are you located in Clare?
    Heh, shows how often I check the DIY forum

Limerick city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Shouldn't use them!

Carcinogenic I believe on latest advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi IRISH1,
    I know this threadf is from 2003 but can you please tell me where you got Irish sleepers Grade A for €18?
    Thanks
    PaJoe

Carnew in Co. Wicklow I have a number I think, I'll pm it to you as its a mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

irish1 wrote:
    Found Irish sleepers Grade A for €18, there very good indeed.

There a place about 20 minutes from me they get delievered the old tracks cut in lengths with the sleepers still attached, they remove the sleepers and sell them and recycle the steel!!

They have any ammount you like.

If anyone would like the number give me a shout.

Thanks for the help lads
    €18 is very good for grade A sleepers - well done irish1.........are you sure the mainline in Carlow is still intact ;) lol

I was going to buy 50 sleepers to use as border for my driveway and looked at some sleepers a couple of miles from me. They had 3 grades , Grade C 15Euro(****e condition), Grade B 20 Euro (so so condition), Grade A 25 euro (alright condition).
    I decided to look around before buying them of the local guy. He would deliver for free.
    I got a number from Irish1 (thanks) of a guy in Carnew in Wicklow. He told me that the Irish Railway sleepers were pine and not worth tuppence! He would not deliver to me in County Clare. I found out that Galvins in Ennis sell them. I rang them and they said they would do the 50 Railway Sleepers (Hardwood) for 19Euro each if I collect or 23Euro delivered to me in Newmarket-on-Fergus.
    Its a bit steep at 200euro to deliver them 8 miles.
    I also got a number of a guy in Doolin from the guy in Carnew. I spoke to hime an d he said he would do them at 18Euro but I would have to collect.They are Oak and Grade A.
    I've just talked to a guy that has a truck and he is seeing if he can do Doolin on saturday.
    Will post outcome. :)

Just found a UK website that shows the different types of Railway Sleepers available, different grades and some ideas on using them.
    Check out the prices before you buy them here and see what kind of types you like.
    Remember creosote can cause cancer and should not be used on sleepers where children play etc.
    The sight has some great comments such as when describing British Pine sleepers " Excellent for stacking/ laying side by side. Can weap tar in summer.Popular due to sometimes sadly nationalistic reasons. ("I'm not buying a froggy / kraut sleeper") Still,each to their own !

http://www.railwaysleeper.com/railway%20sleeper%20comparison%20table.htm

PaJoe

I went up to Doolin yesterday evening to look at the sleepers. They are very good Dutch Oak grade A sleepers. I paid 900 for 50 sleepers(18Euro each).
    Nice Sleepers , Nice Weather, Nice pint of Guiness in O'Connors.

I had got a number of somebody who had a rigid truck and he rang me back and said it would be 200Euro for delivery! A bit steep I thought. I rang around yesterday and got the number of another guy with a rigid truck. I was going to offer 100-150Euro but I asked him first how much it would be and he said 40Euro! Wow ! 160 Euro difference. I'll give him 60Euro.
    He rang earlier and is going to deliver them at 6pm this evening.

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

Iarnród Eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MCD

Does anyone have the number of that bloke in Carnew?

I onlyy need about 4 sleepers!

Hi MCD I have sent you a pm with the number, it's a mobile number so I don't want to post it in an open forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

You can get loads of railway sleepers and large wooden barrels from
    that scrap metal/recycling place outside Galway, I think it's

Galway Metal Company Limited,. Oranmore,. Co. Galway. Tel: 09194358

I've seen probably over 100 sleepers there, and 100 wooden barrels there too. This was a couple years ago now.
    Don't know how much they charge for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I just visited the salvage yard in kingswood, just off the naas road,
    They quoted me €32 each (10 foot sleeper), plus €50 delivery.
    I need 360 feet, so that means €1200 !!!
    Aaaaaggggh :eek:

Am going to ring Irish Rail Depot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Just been on to Irish Rail in portlaois. They don't sell anymore because there is creosote in them and some EU regulations...

Irish1 Can you PM me your contact in Carnew please?

Much appreciated.

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 topdog123

Sorry Irish1
    Looks like we are all looking for sleepers, can you PM me your contact in Carnew please?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JaRiVa

Hey PaJoeMcCracken, Do you have the name and number for the guy in Doolin, I am looking for Sleepers myself. And I am local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 eeiecoe

Who is the guy in Doolin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pandadonn

you can get railway sleepers in a garden centre on the Slane road out of Navan,Co.Meath. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

are they about 25 euro each?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I paid Eur30.00 in Dunlaoghaire with free delivery

Advertisement