Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway Sleepers wanted

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AB30

irish1 wrote:
    Carnew in Co. Wicklow I have a number I think, I'll pm it to you as its a mobile.

Hi Irish1

I know this request is a little late!! but can you send me the number for the person in Carnew selling sleepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

God haven't seen this thread in a while, I'll PM you his number not sure what he has or what he charges anymore, would you be kind enough to post up how you get on I don't want to be referring people if he's not providing them anymore or if he's start charging mad money for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Solid oak, grade A/B/C = 25 / 20 / 15 euros, in Galway.

If you are worried about the creosote, and want to use the odd one for some job - bench or the like, take a sleeper to a saw mill, and they may whip off the surfaces, leaving clean solid oak. (end up a bit smaller though).

For use over a fireplace, get a blow torch and burn off the outer coating, and wire brush to reveal a bit of character in the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

Irish1,
    Your help is needed yet again. I am laying about 200-220m of kerbing and was thinking of using sleepers. Can you please pm me the number of the guy in Carnew, Co. Wicklow.

Cheers,
    tap

I was going to buy 50 sleepers to use as border for my driveway and looked at some sleepers a couple of miles from me. They had 3 grades , Grade C 15Euro(****e condition), Grade B 20 Euro (so so condition), Grade A 25 euro (alright condition).
    I decided to look around before buying them of the local guy. He would deliver for free.
    I got a number from Irish1 (thanks) of a guy in Carnew in Wicklow. He told me that the Irish Railway sleepers were pine and not worth tuppence! He would not deliver to me in County Clare. I found out that Galvins in Ennis sell them. I rang them and they said they would do the 50 Railway Sleepers (Hardwood) for 19Euro each if I collect or 23Euro delivered to me in Newmarket-on-Fergus.
    Its a bit steep at 200euro to deliver them 8 miles.
    I also got a number of a guy in Doolin from the guy in Carnew. I spoke to hime an d he said he would do them at 18Euro but I would have to collect.They are Oak and Grade A.
    I've just talked to a guy that has a truck and he is seeing if he can do Doolin on saturday.
    Will post outcome. :)

How did you get on laying the sleepers? Thinking of doing the same.
    tap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Whats the standard length of a sleeper and did anyone find out the latest prices from the guy in Wicklow? Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The thread that just won't die :D

The last person I gave the number to sent me a pm saying:
    This person does still sell sleepers but they are in Navan rather than Carnew so it is proving too far for them to deliver to me in Wicklow

irish1 wrote:
    The thread that just won't die :D

The last person I gave the number to sent me a pm saying:

Hi
    That is no problem as I live in the midlands. Can you pm me his number.
    Thanks for your help.
    Tap

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

pajoemccracken

Hi is it posible to get the phone # of the guy Doolin,
    thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I recently bought a large quantity (120) of Grade A sleepers 8'6"x10"x4". (I'm doing a retaining wall with them) Got a great deal from Naas Paving and Patio Centre. I just checked over them at the weekend and they are all good quality, no splits or cracks. Their quoted price was €25 each but the large quantity and some good negotiation got the price down to €21 each delivered. Well worth giving them a call but I'm not sure how far they will deliver at that price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement