Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN

Options
  • 22-11-2003 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Can you get ISDN everywhere? Are there any areas where you cant get it? Does it have any advantages over 2 seperate lines?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Can you get ISDN everywhere?
    no - depends upon distance from exchange / quality of line to your building.

Are there any areas where you cant get it?
    yes

Does it have any advantages over 2 seperate lines?
    Yes -
    if you want to use both channels ("lines") you can link them for a 128k connection
    if you use single channel the dial-up is faster than analogue line and the connection speed should be consistent and faster than analogue

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Does it have any advantages over 2 seperate lines?

Line rental is cheaper than two single lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

ISDN also has a decreased latency/ping over analogue,
    the difference will be mininum of 150ms, which makes gaming a lot better.
    It only takes about 2 seconds to dial up as opposed to 20 or 40 secs(56k .92/V90)
    With ISDN you have a pure digital signal which cuts errors down to next to nothing.

Most areas can get ISDN but if your house is old and you live in some farmers backyard then no luck

2x 56k lines will cost you 2x19+vat per month(or 2 months-no sure)
    2x 64K ISDNwill cost you 2x30+vat
    last time I seen an ISDN bill was in the summer so it might be a little cheaper now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The ping depends on the ISP.
    Utv can be worse for pings that Iol standard dialup modem.

With Iol you can expect sub 40 pings locally, and with UTV 100.

I used to get 100 ping with my old Dialup using Oceanfree!

Advertisement