Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick cd-rom query

• 22-11-2003 5:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just want to make sure, but arent cd-roms plug and play? i dont need any software to get them detected unless they are cd-rws do i?

its just the cd rom connection was loose in my pc and when i fixed it the pc wont detect it!!!
    the machine seems to be working fine, it sounds as though its reading the discs fine, but the actuall pc refuses to detect it!!

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah, they're pretty much just slap in & play.

unplug the ribbon cable and plug it back in (making sure that the pink strip on one edge is facing the power cable...)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

cheers, ill check that out
    i have an old drive i can use just incase the whole thing is ****ed up, and maybe the ribbon cable might me burnt out...so ill check that too.... hope i didnt seriously f*uck anythin up!

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

cool, i'd be willing to bet that this is all due to one end of the ide cable not being firmly plugged into place

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is the BIOS recognising the CDROM ?

if no then play with the cables.

if yes then if running windows into control panel and system - device manager and refresh or into add new hard ware and redetect or if win 95/98 add drivers in config.sys restart in dos mode run the mscdex line and type win to get back in to windows, if running windows NT then it's even messier..

if you stick a CD into a drive it will read the TOC - table of contents regardless of wether there is a computer connected to the drive or not - some drives have play and skip buttons so you can listen to music again without needing a computer..

ribbon cables rarely burn out - it's just data not power - but connectors can come loose and scsi cables are notorious for getting dodgy with age.

Advertisement