Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good god help access isa relationships

Options
  • 22-11-2003 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

someone please help me

ok heres my problem doing an oop project in java, its a year long thing now our database is due up in 2 weeks and we have identifed several "isa" realationships or heiriarchys in the spec.

now can ms access support these and if so how ??? looked on the net couldn't find a scrap of info about it.

ok so i have come up with a few options for myself:

1). do it in access reguardless and implement it using sepaerate insert sql statement for each level of the heirarchy

2)forget about "isa" relationships and just create a one level database in access

3). start in a new database program i have never used and implement them any suggestion ? something that can be lerant quickly ???

well any input would be cool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Whats an isa relationship?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

by an "isA" relationship I guess you mean using inheritance - the short answer is no.
    Access is a relational database and doesn't support this oo feature. There are some oo databases but I have never used them . You could check out Suns' site for patterns based on mapping oo entities to relational databases. Its a pretty common problem as most of the db's don't support all oo features.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

boo-boo thanks well have a look at sun now.

by isA i mean inheritance ya like customer is a person and credit customer is a customer and so on.

Friend said i can import ms access into ms sql srever so might do that also he gave this which look promising

http://www.postgresql.org/
    i'll get there hopefully :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Ahhh...and here was me thinking ISA was a TLA.

None of hte other dbs you mention (AFAIK) support OO techniques such as inheritence either.

Personally, I would create seperate tables for the various "inherited" classes. If you really want to have a "base class" representation, set it up as a view.

e.g.

I'd have a Customer table, and a CreditCustomer table, and a "Person" view derived from a union across the two tables. In otherwords...the DB is designed in the "opposite direction" to the objects, if you see what I mean.

Oh yeah - Views aren't specifically implemented in Access. It'd be a SELECT-based Query there.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

the above link to the database support inheirtance in way, but i cant find an insert an iheirtance object example anywhere on the site, for the example i was on about i'd guess you would just do 2 inserts? an insert for ever level

well its just a question if i can do it all in 2weeks then

• Advertisement
Advertisement