Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Swimmers

• 22-11-2003 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and my gf have been trying for a kid for the last 4 years with no joy, I went for the "test" and it turns out that i have very poor swimmers, my gf would like to have my kid but we cant afford ivf just yet and she is running out of time, she wants my kid but what can i do, any other ideas.

This aint a troll if a mod whats me to pm them with my real login i will

help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Get a friend to father the kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Do a google, or talk to a DR about what time of the month your swimmers are more active, what positions get deper penetration, what times are more fertile for your GF, how to monitor herself to determine this and other stuff that i cant remember from the discovery channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks figment but we have tried all that, it seems that xrays etc that i had as a teen have done the damage. its not my gf its me, my orginal post said i had the test do did she, she is fine, we have been trying without protection since 1999, every week bar when the painters visit

as for the other post i dont think i would like to "father" some one elses kid, but thats looks like the way its going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Try some herbal supplements that enhance fertility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

heavy.

why is your gf "running out of time"?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ferdi
    heavy.

why is your gf "running out of time"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Why are you having a kid out side of marriage?. I`m not trying to be judgemental but if you love each other enough to have a child, then you should love each other enough to get married. Just better for the child thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by notusingmylogin
    thanks figment but we have tried all that, it seems that xrays etc that i had as a teen have done the damage.
    Sorry bout going off topic, i just want to ask about this if i may, i've had more xrays over my life time than i can remember, did find out for a fact that that is the cause? I often suspected the x-rays that were taken of me had adverse effects but i've never had the courage to look into the matter.

By my calculation i've had somewhere in the region of 50 - 70 x-rays over my lifetime. (eep)

Doctor evil just try answer what he has asked it's obviously verys stressful and a marriage would be even more stressful, plus marriage costs a hell of alot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

So does a child cost a lot of money and you dont have to have a big wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It would depend on where you had the X-rays and what doses and on whether you had lead shielding over certain areas.

But the radiologists should have your history and take it into account on every screening. AFAIK it's only the reproductive organs that are affected by "normal" doses.

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.."

===========================

Isn't the average cost of a wedding about €25K ?

Yeah some crazy figure like that it's ridiculus.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by doctor evil
    Why are you having a kid out side of marriage?. I`m not trying to be judgemental but if you love each other enough to have a child, then you should love each other enough to get married. Just better for the child thats all.

not the topic of this discussion and none of our business
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

have you considered adoption?

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer
    have you considered adoption?

that's a last resort I'd say and for that they would have to be married, but it is an option for later on, and there are plenty of little kiddies out there who need good parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

I'm not being cheeky, just ignorant :)

Is the problem just that your boys can't get to where they need to go ? if thats the problem, can't the doctor use some artificial means to "deliver the payload" ?
    A lesbian couple in the US used a turkey baster.

I suppose I’m stating the obvious when I suggest that your girlfriend does not move after sex and that she raises her legs and stays in that position for as long as possible, also this is best done during her tempeture change when she is most likely to conceive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    It would depend on where you had the X-rays and what doses and on whether you had lead shielding over certain areas.

But the radiologists should have your history and take it into account on every screening. AFAIK it's only the reproductive organs that are affected by "normal" doses.

****e, I've had my bits x-rayed when I was a kid. Hope I don't get affected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mr Pinchy

Why not try some methods to increase egg supply or delivery, that should multiply your chances.

For women, there is the drug chlomid, it can cause multiple egg releases thereby increasing your success percentage, though I doubt they will prescribe it if they know the source of the problem lies with you.

For yourself, there are artificial delivery systems, the same things they use for artificial insemination, it may help if your fellers dont swim well. Its basically a plastic syringe, like an eye dropper.

If these are not options, IVF will probably be your only option. I dont know what it costs. On the continent, some countries are willing to pay for six attempts and then you must pay yourself. Look into the Irish medicalpolicy on this, a doctor may be able to advise.

Best of luck.

PS Do you have poor swimmers or a low sperm count? May affect your options.

• Advertisement

Right, thanks for the input, well we are still in a bit of a bind, but we are getting good medical advice now

to answer a few questions,

1. its a low sperm count

2. I dont see the need to get married, I live with the boss, we have a mortgage, 2 car loans and regular bills I cant see the logic of throwing 25K (which we could use for IVF) for a day out. Not very romantic but practical nonetheless

3. i had a number of pelvic xrays without adequate protection, its hard to prove, the doc's arent going to say for fear for a claim

4. i'm 34 my gf is 37 (dont call me a girlfriend at 37 goddamn it)

5. adoptions is something we are looking at

6. might also look at fostering

Cheers

Time to login again!

Good Luck with it
    a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

have a look at changing your diets.
    There has been a lot of research about the impact of
    food on fertility and the natural hormones that occur in plants.

My sister is curently on a organic no additives ect diet to increase her chances after a serious operation where they had to remove one of her ovaries.

there is a lot out there and while eating mainly organic stuff and changing your eating pattern is tought IVF is a lot tougher.

http://www.organichealthandbeauty.com/infertility.html
    http://www.positivehealth.com/Reviews/books/glen55.htm
    http://www.treehuggermums.co.uk/html/pregnancy/natural_solutions.php

may sound screwy but i know 2 couples that have got preggers having given this a go and working on the best tiem to have sex to conceive cycle.

Well, low sperm count means low sperm count, it does not mean infertility. All you need is one of those little suckers to get through. They usually advise abstainence in such cases, basically no sex until the fertile period, it will mean your sperm count is higher than if you tried for a few days continually during the fertile period. Hell, the quacks can even detect when the egg is there via ultrasound. Speak to your doc about this. Have you been to a fertility clinic to discuss?

Anyways, it takes a long time to foster or adopt so you might as well go for the two track method, keep trying in the meantime while looking at the foster/adoption option. You might get lucky.

Dont worry about the age, I know someone of 38yrs and boom, pregnant within one week of trying. So you still have some time although the risks are higher.

Advertisement