Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE FUTURES BLEAK!!! (Or is it?)

Options
  • 09-11-1999 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Well, theres a large amount of doom and gloom going around the boards.

Dev has stepped down, Regi has stopped moderating, bubbles just left etc.

All this got me thinking "The first cycle of multiplayer games in Ireland is finished", this is fairly indusputable ( althogh i'm sure there is someone out there who will dispute it)

The question is "What happens now?"

I think the answer comes with the fact that we are on the brink of low price, high bandwidth connections. At the very least ISND lines will become cheaper to run soon eneogh and this opens up a whole new door for Irsih games.

And this door comes in the form of The British "Empire". I think that when it becomes posible the Irish quake scene will be assimilated into the British quake scene. I welcome this because the large player base will allow people to play what they want and not give a **** about spamming on the message boards or muppets (sorry excelcior)

On the other hand, LANs are becoming more frequent and better orgainised and in this way a totally IRISH games scene will always continue.

So the futures not as bleak as everyone seems to think.

Well, thats my 0.2 euros worth.

El

(btw, theres no need to reply to this, im just ranting as I see fit)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

To be honest i wouldn't say the future is bleak at all.

More people are getting online .. the games and their setups (Q3) are gettin more user friendly .. no messin with relatively complex QW CA CFG's (at least not as much) .. people are leaving or changing their role in the game but people are still playing.

I've met people recently, who much like myself don't work with computers or have any real knowledge of them ... but they still enjoy playing the odd game (mostly offline) but once they get time and better kit they'll start online.

Games have got to a stage now where they are good enough to attract a much wider audience .. not just the enlightened few who were technically minded enough to bother trying to understand how to setup and play online ...
    People are starting to play the odd game online without givin over large portions of their youth to the whole thing.

It's gonna get a bit crowded in here but its all for the best ... and it's true what pres said there ... the cheaper it gets to play online the more people we'll have ... cause offline gaming just can't really compete with playing real people.

Anyway i should be working,

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Anyone for a game on the ign servers?

ps
    the sun never sets on the british empire

if you stop the world from turning

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

I'm up for a game Gerry, you tell me where and when and i'll be there. I reckon i could kick your ass!!!!!
    talk to ya soon,
    tct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I think that when it becomes posible the Irish quake scene will be assimilated into the British quake scene

only the qw scene wasn't (apart from dk i think), the q2 clans all did or do play in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You are all muppets.

Lets see some action on the irish servers guys. On the rare occasion I get through this damn firewall every server is empty.

On a completely different note:

Anyone know where I can pick up a decent modem in Dublin?

Anyone want a brand new USR voice/fax etc 56K winmodem, 30 quid.

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Maplin Electronic, Jervis st.
    For all your overpriced needs. Come for a modem, be shocked at the price, but come back again 'cause they're so much more loveable and good looking then the sh.itheads in Pe.ats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

3com are supposed to be realesing a new gamers modem which they say can improve pings upto 40%...then again they could be just talking crap, but who knows smile.gif

30 quid for a winmodem lol
    your chancing your arm there al tongue.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    dk 0wns U

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

I do know somebody
    presumably this modem works for
    web browsing but gets crap pings?
    let me know what the story is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I wouldn't go holding by breath if I were you John. I read the thing Quadzilla put up and it looks like 3com have the hype machine set to overdrive.

El

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 QuadZilla

: 3com are supposed to be realesing a new gamers modem which they say can improve pings up to 40%...then again they could be just talking crap, but who knows

I'm wondering if that figure is a fair figure... I mean, the ping we'd get to the servers on a good day with a hardware ISA modem is maybe 120-130, so a 40% improvement would leave us with pings in the 70-80 range. Nice!
    But I'm sure that this 40% improvement is probably massaged by comparison to Winmodems, which give terrible pings at all times :/

<opinion>
    The best way we can improve our pings is not to buy new modems or ISDNs, but to encourage us to play on local servers more, and keep them alive, so we don't have to go to european or british servers for a game
    </opinion>

QuadZilla
    <A HREF="http://www.gibworld.com/quadzilla/
    " TARGET=_blank>http://www.gibworld.com/quadzilla/
    </A>

• Advertisement

Yes but when the pings to Irish servers arent good eneogh then you dont even have that.

Any ping above 100 is just the pits if you ask me. By my earlier post I meant that ppl would be getting a sub 70ish ping ALL the time with no U-Removes. Once this is freely availible then things will get a whole lot better around here very quickly.

El

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 QuadZilla

Peewee... have a nice glass of hot milk and honey - it'll calm you down nicely...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ah jeese, a ping of even 200 is well playable, we used to be chuffed when we even got a ping of less than 300 when playing qw. I mean of course there's a certain amount of lost reaction time, but in all fairness there always will. And if yee start complaining about playing lpb's when ur ping is over 100, watch Lorcan kick ass smile.gif

Gav
    ( not trying to start the lpb hpb thing again.. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Ahh,

don't mind hobbes - he's been waiting for quake to die out for years and he's still waiting wink.gif

I agree with you El Pres - lower priced PC's, high speed cheap connects, flashier easy-to-use games and a massive spoilt bored young population have to lead to the scene picking up again.

We all know how addictive multiplayer FPS's are - it's only a matter of time before it becomes BIG. Granted the old-school are just plain getting bored of the thing, but there are more than enough newbies out there ready to take up our places.

Like the scene is going to boom, but only a few reading this will be there to see it happen.

Mark.

http://www.spinsol.com/cie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

-he's been waiting for quake to die out for -years and he's still waiting.

And your not? smile.gif youve been saying for the last year or more that your "retired" ahem smile.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    dk 0wns U

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

After reaading all the posts about "veteran" users leaving the bb i feel like new arrivals like myself are joining just in time to fill the void........
    Just like to let them know that we will continue on the good name of this bulletin board when they are gone.
    see ya,
    tct

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i didnt realise this board had a good name?
    i alway thought cloudboards was pretty crap.
    erm...sorry john, i didnt mean it...honest wink.gif

They don't care anymore WWman, remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

El Pres is right about the Irish gaming scene getting integrated into the UK scene.

Online gaming in Ireland is too small and cliquey. It makes little sense to continue it as seperate from the UK scene, and the only reason anyone could wish to perpetuate this split is because, frankly, it's easy to get lost in the UK scene as it's so large, and there are certain people about who like the Irish scene being a small clique because - well, for the same reasons that people like any clique, because it makes them a medium-sized fish in a small pond, rather than a minnow in the Atlantic ocean.

With regards to connections... Eircom et al may be crap, but connects to the UK are slowly improving.

With regards to LANs... Return flights from Dublin to UK cities are very, very cheap, and the boat is cheaper again. Same applies in reverse for UK bods coming over here.

The UK scene right now is a whole hell of a lot more fun than the Irish one. Less of this bloody byatching at each other and ridiculous pouting. The trolls are drowned out by the sheer mass of "real" players. Yes, faraway hills are green and all that, but I muck around more on the UK scene than the Irish one right now, and I can tell you which one is a hell of a lot more fun.

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

I'd like to know when this cheap high speed connects are comin, outside dublin?

• Advertisement
Advertisement