Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty Demo Crashes

Options
  • 23-11-2003 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Just played the Call of Duty Demo and like others before me I am hugely impressed.

I am definitely asking Santy to bring me this for Christmas but I am concerned because the demo crashes regularly on my PC. It must have crashed about 10 times on me while completing the demo. The crashes are always the same - screen goes into horizontal stripes and then I am booted to DOS. Turning down the graphics and sound options definitely makes the game more stable but I don't want to get the game to play in 640 x 480 with mono sound. I don't think I am overloading my machine becasue framerates seem fine and there is no obvious stuttering - just the unexpected crashes.

I have an Athlon XP2000 with 512MB ram, Radeon 9500 (128Mb ram) and an Audigy soundcard.

Anyone else had these problems or does anyone know if the full version is more stable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Most people running the game on a radeon had the same problem. Just get new drivers from www.ati.com that worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Thanks for the heads up - will check out latest drivers before investing in full version of Call of Duty.

Its funny - updating graphics card drivers is a bit like bringing a car to the car wash. When you first buy a new car you bring it to the car wash every Sunday for about 2 months and then the novelty wears off. The frequency of washing plummets rapidly. Pretty soon you put off washing the car until it gets so grubby that people refuse to travel with you out of sheer embarrasment.

Same story with graphics card drivers. Whe I got my Radeon first I must have updated drivers about four times in the first week each version a minor tweak on the previous one scoring a tiny fraction higher 3D Mark etc. Then I got bored and stopped bothering altogether.

Advertisement