Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing DSL between 2 pc's

• 23-11-2003 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

If anyone can help i'd appreciate it. I have broadband from eircom with the prestige 630-11 usb adaptor.

My brother recently got a pc in his room and i want to be able to share my connection so he can use the internet while i also use it, eircom want a huge amount of money to install a second line and i reckon it's easy enough for a diy solution.

we both have ethernet cards installed and along with my usb modem what do i need to do so we can share the connection?

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by gary h
    If anyone can help i'd appreciate it. I have broadband from eircom with the prestige 630-11 usb adaptor.

My brother recently got a pc in his room and i want to be able to share my connection so he can use the internet while i also use it. ... we both have ethernet cards installed and along with my usb modem what do i need to do so we can share the connection?
    The only way you can do it with your USB adapter is to use something like ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the PC that the USB modem is plugged into so that it acts as a "gateway" for the other PC. The obvious drawback is that you can't use the 2nd PC unless the first PC is turned on, and it uses up resources on the first PC.

I think most people would strongly recommend that you replace the USB modem with something like the D-Link DSL-504 which, for about €140 will give you firewall functionality and 4 LAN ports for sharing the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gary h

thanks, i'm willing to use the usb for the moment, cant really fork out 140 on a new adaptor, i'll use ICS for the moment anyhow.

Is all i need to do hook up the two pc's together directly with cat5 cable via the ethernet cards and then run the XP network setup wizard??

will cat5 cable do or would i need crossover cat5e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Is all i need to do hook up the two pc's together directly with cat5 cable via the ethernet cards and then run the XP network setup wizard??

will cat5 cable do or would i need crossover cat5e?
    Network setup wizard can take care of everything. The manual setup is pretty easy too. Give them both IP addresses, for the comp with the modem enable ICS, for the 2nd comp enter the 1st IP in the default gateway box. It'll have to be crossover cable alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gary h

thats great thanks, so all i need is the crossover cable right? no hubs or routers? (at least till i get the ethernet adsl adaptor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

thats great thanks, so all i need is the crossover cable right? no hubs or routers? (at least till i get the ethernet adsl adaptor)
    Yeah, just a crossover will do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dmcgee

You probably don't even need to go to the trouble of assigning IP addresses etc I am not familiar with the particular modem/router recommended in the thread but alsmot all of them will have dhcp enabled by default. So you "should" be able to connect and go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dmcgee
    You probably don't even need to go to the trouble of assigning IP addresses etc I am not familiar with the particular modem/router recommended in the thread but alsmot all of them will have dhcp enabled by default. So you "should" be able to connect and go
    USB DSL "modems" aren't usually configured as routers, and don't do DHCP (because you can't usually connect more than one device to a USB modem, so you usally run the PPPoE client on that device, and it get's it's IP address via the PPPoE handshake, rather than via DHCP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

set up the broadband connection...
    set up the lan connection...

go to network connections inc control pannel,
    mark the two connections,
    then click bridge network,
    Give it a second and it will be grand!

Advertisement