Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will these router work with iol?

• 23-11-2003 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

will any of these work for sharing iolbb between 2 computers???

what about security? do i need fire wall software?

D-link
    Broadband (DSL/Cable) Router, 4 x 10/100 Switch ports, 1 x WAN port

LINKSYS
    Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL 4-Port Router

Netgear
    Netgear RP614 Broadband Router + 4 port 10/100 Switch. Platinum Range.

BELKIN
    Router 4 port Fastethernet ADSL Gateway RJ45

USrobotics
    U.S. Robotics Broadband Router

D-LINK
    D-Link DI-514 Wireless Broadband Router with built in 4 port switch

which one would be a good buy, without spending to much?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

without trying to be smart, but a router is a router, it will work no matter what connection you go for.

Top on your list should be an ethernet one. Then, if you're looking to make a small hoime netwoprk, maybe 4 ports, nat and a built-in firewall. thats about it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

I assume that the modem that iol bb gives is only USB right?
    Thing is there is only 1 router i know of where you can connect a usb modem to it which is linksys. So what i would suggest is getting a dsl modem/router. Netgear have one. If you want to go cheap, don't go for wireless unless u don't want a few wires on the floor and its not always very stable depending on the thickness of your walls and the distance between the wireless router and pcs. If your only looking to connect 2 computers you dont even need a router or a hub just get a crossover ethernet cable.

Also check out the thread thats just bellow where it says connecting internet to 2pcs or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Subc
    I assume that the modem that iol bb gives is only USB right?
    Thing is there is only 1 router i know of where you can connect a usb modem to it which is linksys.
    Which Linksys router works with USB modems? (The BEFSRU31 has a USB port for connecting your PC with, it still connects to your "modem" with an ethernet cable).

You need a driver running on your PC to use a USB modem, so any router that wanted to work with a USB modem will have to have an equivalent driver in its firmware. And that means it will be limited to working with whatever USB modems it has drivers for.

The Draytek Vigor2200USB works with some USB modems, but not with the USB modems provided by IOL or UTV, apparently. And it costs more than €200, so you'd be better off replacing the USB modem totally.

Originally posted by jozi
    All broadband routers work by creating a LAN using "private" IP addresses, and "translating" that address when any traffic from the LAN is sent out to the internet. The outcome is that, by default, noone outside your network can direct any traffic to any machine on your LAN, because they addresses used on your LAN aren't reachable from the outside.

This means that when a worm comes along, like the Blaster worm that spread across the internet like wildfire in August, you're totally protected by all of these broadband routers.

Obviously, you can change the configuration to allow inbound traffic if you want to host your own server, for example, but even then, you only allow access to specific ports).

Software firewalls running on your PC can be configured to notify you of outbound connections as well as inbound connections, so that, if you're paying attention, you can spot any worms or virus's on your machine that are making outbound connections, and a hardware firewall isn't going to help with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Thanks to those that have already replied

i geuss i'll be replacing the modem iol provides.

basically any router will protect my pc (and the other conected one) from attacks then?

was looking at a web site (elara as mentioned in other treads) where i seen this

has anyone used this? would you recoment it?

thanks,

Jozi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

has anyone used this? would you recoment it?

Haven't used it but you can't go far wrong with linksys, they're made by Cisco, the daddy of networking. I'm using a netgear wireless router with a modem and firewall built in. It emails me every day with a log of port scans, attacks etc...I can't believe there's that many saddo's on the net!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All broadband routers work by creating a LAN using "private" IP addresses, and "translating" that address when any traffic from the LAN is sent out to the internet. The outcome is that, by default, noone outside your network can direct any traffic to any machine on your LAN, because they addresses used on your LAN aren't reachable from the outside.

Anyone know of a small router that does NOT do NAT - (preferrably with an 802.11 AP built in ..)
    ie. I want everyone on either subnet to be able to see each other... At present I can use PC's or High end routers to do this, but every consumer router I've seen you can't disable NAT..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Security Forum have a look at the stickies.

It's best to have defense in depth otherwise it like a lot of sweets - crunchy on the outside - smooth on the inside. - so Personnal firewall (or the one in XP),
    also a Firewall will not protect you from malware or viruses or email attachments or web pages that attack IE holes or downloads etc..

Originally posted by eth0_
    Haven't used it but you can't go far wrong with linksys, they're made by Cisco,
    Not quite - Linksys were making and selling this equipment for years before Cisco bought the company in the last year or so.

(That's not to take away from the quality of the LinkSys gear in any way, but if you want "made by Cisco" gear, you'll have to pay Cisco prices for it).

i geuss i'll be replacing the modem iol provides.

was looking at a web site (elara as mentioned in other treads) where i seen this
    That's a "Cable/DSL Firewall Router" - it's not a "DSL modem", and you will still need an ethernet modem to plug it into. (The reference to cable is a giveaway - this model was developed in a market where Cable internet and DSL both hold significant market share, and it doesn't have any builtin DSL "smarts").

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

jozi this baby should sort you out I know you may look at the price and say *ouch* but if your looking for a router with in-build modem you will be looking at that kinda price. I *hopefully* will be getting that very router 2morrow if Elara shipped it out yet.......I made an order for it Friday week ago. It should be here but.....:(. If I get it 2morrow I'll tell you what it's like.

Advertisement