Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN through NAT?

• 23-11-2003 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am using IOL BB. I have VPN software on my laptop for conencting to work over GPRS however I reckon I should be able to use it to connect to my internal servers over my DSL connection.

If I connect directly through the standard IOL BB DSL modem there is no problem - everything works as I would expect. However, I normally use a US Robotics Modem/Router which in turn is connected to a Linksys Wireless Access Point. A slightly over complicated setup but it works fine :-)

Anyway, once I put myself behind all of this stuff I can no longer connect over VPN. I am pretty sure that it is to do with the fact that my IP address is being NAT'd as it crosses the router but that is far as I have got.

Has anyone else had any similar problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dmcgee
    I am using IOL BB. I have VPN software on my laptop for conencting to work over GPRS however I reckon I should be able to use it to connect to my internal servers over my DSL connection.

If I connect directly through the standard IOL BB DSL modem there is no problem - everything works as I would expect. However, I normally use a US Robotics Modem/Router which in turn is connected to a Linksys Wireless Access Point. A slightly over complicated setup but it works fine :-)

Anyway, once I put myself behind all of this stuff I can no longer connect over VPN. I am pretty sure that it is to do with the fact that my IP address is being NAT'd as it crosses the router but that is far as I have got.
    NAT used be cause a lot of problems for VPNs, but most VPNs now support "NAT traversal".

What VPN client software are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

There was an article on Tom's Hardware a while back looking into this:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/network/20030612/index.html

Thankfully not a problem I've ever had to look at, but hopefully there's a bit in there.

Advertisement