Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB (dis)connection this weekend

• 23-11-2003 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭

Just wondering - has anyone else had problems connecting to IOL BB this weekend, or is it just me?
    I was getting disconnected every 2-3 hours....anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

no problems here, been on and off with no problems all weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yep ancient1 can only stay on for about 1/2 hour before it gets disconnected automatically.... I have not tested it to see if I would get disconnected if I was downloading something..... But I have a hunch I'd stay on it's just when your idle you seem to lose the connection. It's not my settings cause I've used these same settings for ages; anyway I always turn off all that disconnect stuff. I'm in the Dublin 15 area where are you??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

there is an idle disconnect on iolbb, it's every half hour iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

really? I didnt know about that - my adsl modem auto reconnects anyway so I wouldnt notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

mines left on all the time alot of the time idle too. no special modems (use what esat gave me) and its not disconnected itself since the first week i got it unless i manually do it. :D maybe to do with a fault in your area?

• Advertisement

Na it seems to be back to OK eth I turn all that stuff off automatically when I set up a connection and anyway my setup doesn't have that option in the default installation - so maybe they got rid of that option as default?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Possibly similar to this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126729.

Had a number of outages on Saturday, and it was completely gone from 12.45am Sunday morning until about 9.45am (or so says my KeepAlive proggy). I'm on Netsource so I guess it was an Eircom exchange issue.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Na it seems to be back to OK eth I turn all that stuff off automatically when I set up a connection and anyway my setup doesn't have that option in the default installation - so maybe they got rid of that option as default?.

Nah it's at IOL's end, the idle disconnect. Or maybe they've gotten rid of it. Your IP address is also supposed to reset every 24 hours. Ein - you using an ethernet modem/router or just the usb jobbie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Um, I'm on netsource and there have been random disconnects all day saturday and sunday. Stopped around 3pm.

Very weird.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by Ancient1
    Just wondering - has anyone else had problems connecting to IOL BB this weekend, or is it just me?
    I was getting disconnected every 2-3 hours....anyone else?
    I'm on IOL BB and I was getting exactly this too. I have only had the connection less than a week so I don't know if it was just something that was happening this weekend. I am using an Ethernet modem that reconnects on demand. Doesn't seem like an idle disconnect since I was using the connection on every occassion...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

It was also happening to me on both Saturday & Sunday.

Sometimes it took a while to reconnect.

BTW - it happened while downloading - thank god for resume in DAP.

Na I wasn't downloading anything, thank god:p, so no probs there I'm using the USB modem to connect. The prob seems to have stopped I've been on for more then an hour on Monday morning and no signs of being disconnected. It was probably some tech prob they were having at the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

A mate was having problems with his new eircom bb and contacted eircom. They were resetting a load of exchanges over the weekend, so that probably explains the problems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

They were resetting a load of exchanges over the weekend, so that probably explains the problems.

These cutoffs seem to have affected all isps. I am on clicksilver.

Wouldn't it be good when Eircom are going to carry out work like this that they should issue a warning in advance? So much for customer service!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Etho_ ;

I'm just using the usb modem IOL supply when you sign up! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I'm in the Dublin 15 area where are you??.

I'm in Dublin 7.

there is an idle disconnect on iolbb, it's every half hour iirc

Remember 6 months ago IOL used to disconnect you every 4 hours for "security reasons" - lying sacks of sh!t.., anyways i never experienced any idle disconnections, i've had the connection on 12-13hrs plus, never had any problems, so i think it might have been a technical glitch of some sort on their end.

They were resetting a load of exchanges over the weekend, so that probably explains the problems.

I'd say this is probably it. Otherwise there's no point marketing an "always-on" functionality !

Advertisement