Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good recipes for pesto, people?

• 23-11-2003 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I got one in a book - basically, you put basil, olive oil etc in a blender and add either chopped nut or chopeed pine kernels amd later on, some parmesan.

The only problem is that I don't like the nutty taste and I don't even know where the hell you're supposed to get pine kernals! (At your local forest?!)

Next time, i'm just gonna omit that part but, out of curiosity, anybody got any other recipes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

i only started using pine kernels recently for salads. easy enought to find in bigger supermarkets . they seem to get put in the baking section with those plastic-looking glace cherries....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mmmmmm, reminds me of a dish i made years ago.

basicaly; pasta, shed loads of unsalted butter, shedloads of roasted pine nuts and shedloads of parmesan.

doesn't seem to be the kind of suggestion you're after. but i'm definitely going to try it again myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

One secret to making pesto is lightly toasting the pine kernels this adds a new depth to the flavour. You can also use Rocket instead of Basil or also include sundried tomatoes

you can also use a pestle and morter to mash up all ingredients and it wont be too fine in consistency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

i shopped around for a pestle and mortar recently. for a good heavy one you can pay up to e50. > rip off ireland < all heavy marble/earthenware ones are least e25. however Dunnes now sell them for e15. great for grinding your ahem...pine nuts

Advertisement