Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The use of the word 'gay' as a derogatory term

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Its interesting to see that those who think its ok to use the word gay and dont have a "problem " with it are straight ..
    Theres no ifs or buts about it but people useing the word /term "thats so gay or you're so gay " do so as a means of belittleing someone ..In other words its used as a term of abuse ........its wrong very wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Yeah, in the same way any term of abuse is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I hate when people use that word as a synonym for bad, crap etc.

I don't think it's used to be homophobic or anti-gay, but it's incorrect use of the word and it's used to in a negative way.

I'd probably take more offense if I was gay, but I do feel annoyed when people say it, nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

but it's incorrect use of the word and it's used to in a negative way.
    How exactly is it an incorrect use of the word? If all parties have a mutual understanding as to the meaning of the word then its valid to use it in that context.

Anyway for better or worse the word gay is now firmly routed in the common vocabulary as an alternative to bad, lame, etc.

I'd imagine the lgb community have enough actual discrimination to deal without having to attempting to invent some where clearly they aren't been referenced. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭smileykey

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Its interesting to see that those who think its ok to use the word gay and dont have a "problem " with it are straight ..
    Theres no ifs or buts about it but people useing the word /term "thats so gay or you're so gay " do so as a means of belittleing someone ..In other words its used as a term of abuse ........its wrong very wrong

Eh excuse me but I'm far from straight. Please don't make assumptions about people. All of my friends, gay and straight, use the term and none of them mean it in a derogatory way. Its the same as the term "thats a bit Irish" for something that ridiculous or over priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

yellum wrote: »
    substituting the word gay for "substandard" , "crap" "lame". "retarded" etc
    Does the same thing apply to "retarded"? I find using either "gay" or "retarded" as a synonym for substandard offensive. Or calling someone a retard because they said something stupid. Although to be honest I occasionally use both. It just slips out sometimes. And I usually feel bad after it does.

It's kinda similar to how I'm not even christian, but I still exclaim "Jesus Christ!" at some things. It's just a use of the language that's been impressed upon me by society :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I personally find use of the term ‘gay’ to describe something in negative terms both highly offensive to gay people & ignorant.

Most people are aware of how gay people have been discriminated against in the past, & how difficult it has & sometimes is to merely live their day to day life without being cast in a negative light.

Most gay people can take a joke & can laugh at themselves – but sometimes it’s easy to forget that comparing any minority group (or using a term commonly used to describe that minority) to anything negative can be & is offensive to that minority group IMO, & goes a long way to reverse any positive change in attitudes & opinions (especially those of younger, more impressionable members of society, who are our future leaders).

Yes of course language & slang words evolve – & quite a lot of the time it evolves through popular tv shows aimed at the young & impressionable such as South Park, Simpsons etc. I’m not so sure that if the word ‘Jew’ for example (or any other minority label) had been used instead of ‘Gay’, had been chosen to describe things in a negative way that it would have been aired so freely & been allowed to catch on.

I just feel that in present times it’s best to steer clear of using minority groups (race, religion, sexual orientation, physically/mentally impaired) to describe things in a negative way. IMO it's a huge step backwards!

Leopards can’t change their spots – neither can bigots….not that everyone who uses the term is a bigot...I just think that it's best not fuel the fire for those who are :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Well I don't read anything into people using gay to mean jovial or fun, so why should I read anything extra into gay as it relates to something negative or dull?

OP when people say something is gay (as in, man, the nitelink is gay) they're obviously not referring to sexual orientation so it is not a sexually derogative term. It's a term that is used in an entirely different context and meaning when used in the above way.
    I don't use the term myself but have no problem with it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭smileykey

This thread is so gay

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

This one was nicely covered by Simon Amstell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSD7jb-7x4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cabbage Brained

All these arguments that gay has three meanings don't really wash with me. The term f@ggot refers to a couple of different things, but that doesn't make it ok to use. Of course people have the right to use whatever words they want, but the use of the word "gay" as a derogatory term is at minimum pretty insensitive and unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

All these arguments that gay has three meanings don't really wash with me. The term f@ggot refers to a couple of different things, but that doesn't make it ok to use. Of course people have the right to use whatever words they want, but the use of the word "gay" as a derogatory term is at minimum pretty insensitive and unnecessary.

If an old lady told you she had a gay old time on holidays, would you feel like she was referring to your sexuality?

Lets presume that's a no.

If the positive meaning has nothing to do with sexual identity, why on earth do people then presume the term gay in the negative sense is related to sexuality?:confused:

I really do not see anything to be offended about.

If an old lady told you she had a gay old time on holidays, would you feel like she was referring to your sexuality?

Lets presume that's a no.

If the positive meaning has nothing to do with sexual identity, why on earth do people then presume the term gay in the negative sense is related to sexuality?:confused:

I really do not see anything to be offended about.

No, but I also wouldn't be offended if she asked me to light up a bundle of f@ggots. Of course words can be used in different contexts and have different meanings, I'm not arguing that they can't. But it is absolutely obvious that the word gay as a derogatory term originated from a slur against homosexuals. To argue otherwise is just plain silly. And this is why I don't think it should be used.

Anyway, whatever about the semantics of it, the fact is that it does offend a lot of people, and all but the most naive users of the word are aware of this, yet they continue to use it. That shows a lot of insensitivity IMO. There are nearly a million words in the English language, surely you could choose one that doesn't fall under such a grey area when it comes to offending 5 to 10 % of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

There are nearly a million words in the English language, surely you could choose one that doesn't fall under such a grey area when it comes to offending 5 to 10 % of the population.

Yeah, but it's a good word. No other word has the same meanings associated, even taking away any kinda homosexual slur. Or at least no common word.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Just thinking that if kids are called 'gay' in school it will mean lame rather than a slang on sexuality.

So maybe this is a good thing? there will be a generation (the national school kids now) who will not use 'gay' as a sexuality term.

Maybe they will be the generation who wont see sexuality as something to slag off!!

Undergod wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's a good word. No other word has the same meanings associated, even taking away any kinda homosexual slur. Or at least no common word.

Are you serious?

'Gay' used in this sense can be substituted by literally hundreds of words without any loss of meaning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The english language changes daily, and like it or not 'gay' has taken on a new meaning, in the much same way as it differs from what it meant a hundred years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Gaspode wrote: »
    The english language changes daily, and like it or not 'gay' has taken on a new meaning, in the much same way as it differs from what it meant a hundred years ago.

Very true, just the other day I was describing a leather jacket as being "****** black". Everybody congratulated me on being so forward thinking.

Anyway.

Advertisement