Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help partitioning

• 23-11-2003 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

ok, i need some help partitioning my drive. i need to do this to make room for linux. ive already posted about this here.

so ive come to the conclusion that i need to use xp to partition my drive. trouble is i dont have partition magic. :( also, i have a lot of data on the drive already. ive tried using the logical disk manager but it doesnt even give me an option to create a partition. im a little dubious about using fdisk too.

any ideas...??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

just get partition magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah.. partition magic just saves you a lot of hassle.... im sure someone you know may have it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

Hey there!
    Ok, heres the deal with linux:

Linux needs to install to unpartitioned space on the drive because it uses its own filing system different to that of windows or any other operating system so it does the formatting. In order to set the drive up for linux, you need to get your files off the drive (the important ones) then you can either boot up using a Windows 98 boot disk and use Fdisk to partition the drive or off an XP Setup CD because it has built in tools for partitioning. Fdisk can not deal with Hard Drives larger than 40GB so perhaps the later option would be more appropriate. You will need to delete all partitions on the drive then allocate whatever amount of space of want to give windows and leave some space unpartitioned (Space for linux). I would advise installing XP first then installing linux because linux creates an OS choices menu. The easiest way to do this entire operation is to put your hard drive into another machine as a slave and use drive partitioning software such as Seagates "Disk Wizard 2003" or those mentioned in other posts here.

I hope this information will be of use to you,
    User X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

okay, was afraid of this. i have a lot of data that i need to keep. too much to backup. the thing is i have a lot of progs installed that i cant get the disks for. i think at this stage my best bet would be to just get a new drive and install there.

thanx for all the help. i posted on a linux forum and got nothing from them. thank god for boards... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

ps... none of my mates have partition magic. i had it once myself and i know just how good it is. but i dont have it anymore.... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement