Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping the dog quiet

• 23-11-2003 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Got a new Pomperanian pup (12 weeks old) yesterday.

We keep her inside the house, in the Utility room. Thing is, when she is alone, she goes wild - barking, squeeling etc. She came from a loud house with around 15 dog's, so there was always other dog's around.

Since we got her, if we left her alone in a room, she'd start crying (she's only young so her bark is a sort of squeel).

Tomorrow mean's the family is back to school and work for the week, so the dog will be alone from 9am till around 6pm (the brother might be home, but in bed till the evening).

I know for a fact she'll go wild when we leave. We just left her in the utility room for about 10 minutes (we were going for 30 minutes but the dog was too loud and sad) to get her used to it and the dog started scraping the door and barking/squeeling/screaming.

So, what can I do to keep her quieter and less depressed when we leave in the morning?

Also, any other tip's on toilet-training the pup?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

It's obvious that you puppy is very distressed about being left alone. She has never been in this situation before and probably feels abadoned and very terrified. I"m assuming that the puppy in also left by herself at night too which leaves an even longer period of time that she's alone. I would leave her with plenty of food , water , toys and chewies to play with and a warm soft area to sleep in.

Normally I would suggest crate training , however since no one is going to be around , you won't be able to set a schedule for her to learn. Unfortunatley potty training is easiest with the crate training. The potty training will be difficult since you cannot expect a puppy that young to control her bodily functions for such a long length of time and you will not be there to teach her to go out to relieve herself. I would layer the utility room with newspapers to begin with. She's bound to go whereever , then slowly shrink the area the newspapers cover and hopefully she will learn to stay on them when she needs to go. If you notice a certain area that she uses consistently make sure you leave papers there.

Hopefully all goes well with your new puppy. Don't be surprised if she finds things to amuse herself with .....and they may not always be what you would prefer her to have. Puppies can get into great mischief when left alone , especially for such a long period of time.

Unfortunately I fear a certain amount of noise and fussing is going to have to be endured until the puppy learns to adjust to her new situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Agreed with whats been said above.

Problem here is (speaking as somone who has a pom), they are dogs that dont like being alone in general. My suggestion, if its an option, is get a second pup, a jack russel, or other small dog. This will help keep her quiet and make her feel more secure once they bond.

If you decide not to, u will need to do all of the above, but with mine that didnt work, and ultimately, one dog taught the other everything! :)

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

When I got my pup back in Febuary I slept in the spare room with him for a week.
    The whining/scraping went on and on for a few weeks. Then one night I put him in his bed in the garage and he was fine. Couldn't believe it.
    He still cried a bit when he's outside etc. but not much. Just be patient. If you come running every time the dog cries they will use that against you!

I would agree with Kittens advice re: Toilet training. Again Patience required!

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I had a pom for the last ~three years, but he died in July. We got him at around 6 weeks old and was way quieter as far as I remember (though, Male's are meant to be quieter than female's).
    He also, loved being lonely - well, he used love going off adventuring around the place for hour's on end.

She's still barking and squeeling (bark has come on a lot since we got her :)).

I'm gonna try the 'fill the utility with newspaper's tomorrow, save my mother from bleaching the floor 3 or 4 time's a day.

Now, only to get a name for her.

"Now, only to get a name for her"

How bout Precious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ever since LOTR: The Two Towers, Precious just reminds me of Gollum.

How about Gollum? :)

Never thought of that!
    I was refering to Wild Bill's poodle in Silence of the Lambs.
    Her name was precious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I think we've settled on Ms. Smith.

Mr. Smith was the dog killed last July (we looked fair stupid, standing outside the house shouting ''Mister Smith!'' at the dog.

Advertisement