Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Thrashing

Options
  • 23-11-2003 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Every so often my pc goes into a fit with the hard drive thrashing so much that everything grinds to a halt.

Im running Xp sp1 on a 3Gz Athlon with a ATA133 160Gb HD.

Im wondering if it might be Norton AV - although there is no sign of it doing a scan at these times.

The other alternative is one of the XP services like indexing.

Anyone have any ideas??? Or know if I can get a 'harddrive sniffer' that will tell me what processes are accessing the hard drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

This dudes site is bril for explaining the actual use of all the services in windows go to the WinXP section and get rid of all the services you dont need. If it doesn't solve the problem, who cares your comp will probably start quicker and you'll be using less memory - always good:D!.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the drive is NTFS and it is timestamping each time they are accessed...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
    "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

Have a look at ww.sysinternals.com - lots of monitoring utils there...
    Also look at the stickies here and on security on the services you can turn off.

Advertisement