Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold House

• 23-11-2003 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    like all good students (albeit a part-funded MSc. student), I go through periods of utter-bankruptcy. At the moment, this is the case for myself, and my 3 housemates. In timely fashion, our oil-supply has run out, and its pretty damn cold this weekend. In the house, you can quite clearly see your breath in the air, and everyone is wrapped in blankets, and many, many jumpers.
    Can anybody suggest a way to heat up ourselves / the house in general, without the need for large amounts of electricity or hot water? We live across from a field, and we have, in the past, foraged for wood to burn, but this only heats one room, and still leaves the rest of them (particularly the bedrooms) freezing cold. Is there any simple solution out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Is there any simple solution out there?
    see if your parents or any of theirs will donate/loan one of them small plug in radiators?
    i'm sure somebody has one or two they don't use...
    Can anybody suggest a way to heat up ourselves

umm.....i could..but it probably wouldn't be very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Have a good feed and drink plenty of hot soup and start bouncing up and down on your bed allnight to start burning those calories.

well thats my suggestion, others might have better ones

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've heard a story where the landlord paid for the electricity so there were no electric heaters in the house.

Anyway it got so cold they plugged in the iron. By all accounts it started to glow a dull red after while..

Lots of clothes, lots of activity, try to all stay in the same room as long as possible - see if any of your mates are in the same boat and all go round to their house one night and back to your gaff the next...

RE wood burning - if you are in Dublin, you are supposed to use smokeless fuels... if you are in DCU you could kidnap a stray horse - plenty of heat offa dem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes get in bed naked and partake in lots of physical activity:D. If that's not an option......freeze?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

umm.....i could..but it probably wouldn't be very helpful.

Regardless of the issue itself, sub-zero temperatures and sexual activity dont go well together! (Well, for us blokes anyway, but I'm sure it's not much better for the ladies involved either).
    if you are in DCU you could kidnap a stray horse - plenty of heat offa dem...

That is the most bizarre suggestion I have EVER heard! I'll do my best to locate the nearest equine I can lay my hands on!

Asking parents for money is out, by the way.

Can humans hibernate? I wonder if I could induce a long, 6-month sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    If that's not an option......freeze?.

Helpful.... Still thinking about burning the cat. There has to be enough methane in it to burn for quite some time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Talk to your nearest Citizens Information Centre [CIC] or have a look at www.oasis.gov.ie
    Look up heating allowances (Winter). Or you could apply to your nearest Community Welfare Officer, employed by your local Health Board, for a 'single exceptional needs payment'.

Damned, if I would sit freezing my rocks off. Without taking immediate positive action.

If you are refused any heating help from the Health Board, C.W.O.!. Always appeal to the appeals officer, as most C.W.O's are notorious for refusing to help, even to those people who have a statutory right. In your case the decision would probably be discretionary.

P.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Buy a mini-electric heater, you can pick them up farely cheap as far as I know

...you and members of your household have a combined income of more than 50.79 euro per week or savings/investments of 41,901.36 euro or more above the appropriate maximum benefit/assistance rate.

Doesn't look too good - one of the lads earns €250pw, but blew all this months money on computer stuff. Nice idea though.
    Buy a mini-electric heater

Goodbye heating bill, hello electricity bill!

And the rest of us are too busy/lazy to find jobs..... Maybe we should start a Boards.ie heating fund?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Being a fellow skint student:
    The main thing is - you still have electricity:

Kettle - obvious source of heat, so too is the oven.
    Hair dryers: again, vital heat source.
    PC: Athlons are the student way to go - they are cheaper and they give off a bloody awful lot of heat!

Main thing to remember - Alcohol reduces the body's freezing temperature!!!.

Originally posted by Sinecure
    Being a fellow skint student:
    The main thing is - you still have electricity:

Kettle - obvious source of heat, so too is the oven.
    Hair dryers: again, vital heat source.
    PC: Athlons are the student way to go - they are cheaper and they give off a bloody awful lot of heat!

Main thing to remember - Alcohol reduces the body's freezing temperature!!!.

Good points there

I have experience with the Athlons, they can often cause ur bed to go on fire too so be careful. Well that was my Acer Aspire 1300 Notebook, athlon 2000+ in her.

Fairly hot piece of stuff

The notebooks leave off more heat i think and use hardly no electricity and u can always run the battery for 2 hours if they cut off eletricity!

Bah, we're all P4 men in this house! Apart from that one AMD, but we won't mention that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by Practical
    Buy a mini-electric heater, you can pick them up farely cheap as far as I know

Apart from the electricity cost as noted, if the place is as cold as mr_angry says, you'd have to be sitting directly in front of it to get the warmth, and you get cold again as soon as its turned off - trust me - I know :(

Best thing is loads of layers, hot drinks and getting an early night.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I would still appeal!!. On an individual basis!, particularly if you have your own bedroom. Which is freezing.

Are they stating that someone you happen to share a house with, is responsible for paying for everyones heating needs ?... and do not forget a lack of heating can cause serious depression amongst numerous other health problems. Could be a case for the Environmental Health Officers?..

I still would buy the Ole Notebook to warm the house.
    only €1000, and lasts for ever on lower watt usage.

Seriously all jokes aside, these Notebooks could heat a house in very little time. Trust me!

hmm why don't they use Processor technology in heaters? instead of putting our eletricity bills sky high

Originally posted by Paddy20
    I would still appeal!!. On an individual basis!, particularly if you have your own bedroom. Which is freezing.

Are they stating that someone you happen to share a house with, is responsible for paying for everyones heating needs ?... and do not forget a lack of heating can cause serious depression amongst numerous other health problems. Could be a case for the Environmental Health Officers?..

Well, I'll give anything a go! I'll put my whinging face on, and see if I can squeeze anyone for the payment. If only the cat wasn't so fat, we could have got away with it! I wonder if there's an appropriate officer in DKIT, or do we have to sneak into Muirheamhna Mor (general hellhole, and location of nearest Health Board office) under cover of daylight?
    Apart from that one AMD, but we won't mention that...

He got sense and sold that. Remember? Better yet, lets say the cold is affecting your memory! *kerr-ching*

Memory? What's that? Yeah, maybe I'll put on my fingerless gloves and crappy clothes, not wash for a few days and see what I can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Elecric blankets guys. 20 quid in argos. The best thing you'll ever buy. Well....almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

me empathises :) don't spend so much time sitting around the house (you said you live near a field :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

play twister, go for a jog, play "see who can jump on one leg for the longest".. etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I grew up in a house like that, my grandmothers, from october->march you could see your breath in the bedrooms, the only heat source was a range in the kitchen and an open hearth in the sitting room.
    I now have superhuman tolerance for cold :D
    electric blankets are the way to go with regards the bedrooms, they're probably the most efficient way of keeping your personal space warm(and preheating it so you dont climb into a freezing bed), also for geneeral siting around watching tv try their lo-tech equivalent, hot water bottles.
    As for the living area, computer monitors are mini convection heaters, unless ye're posh and all have tfts.
    wear layers of clothes, and remember that any physical ctivity, weight lifting, sit ups, press ups, whatever will keep you warm.

(Beruthiel delete this if you feel it's inappropriate, but it really does work)

deleted - and you should know better, don't you just know some idiot in here would try that! :rolleyes:
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

sell ur roomates computer stuff, stop drinkin, stop smokin and get jobs!!

if the above is too much for ya's, then screw u hippie:D

Originally posted by loismustdie
    me empathises :) don't spend so much time sitting around the house (you said you live near a field :))

I suppose we could go hunting with Snarf, the cat. Plenty of rats and birds and stuff. When I said "field", I really meant "meadow", or "big place full of weedy crap".
    unless ye're posh and all have tfts.

Curse my TFT!
    Deleted due to boards not wanting to be held responsible for people giving themselves 3rd degree burns
    B

Now that is an interesting alternative. With a bit of luck, we could catch a passer-by in the blaze, and thus burn them as a source of heat! Or just set the entire house on fire! Just as good. Alternatively, I might try to induce spontaneous human combustion in myself.

[Edit] Wow. I can't wait to live in Newband's world of utter joylessness and slavery! Makes being cold seem like something to be proud of...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You should grow you hair again... That way you an a) put it on fire or b) i can swing you around by the hair in one arm and grab Snarf by the tail in the other hand and use him to balance it. I think he would probably be heavier than you anyway ;)

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Curse my TFT!

I will take it off ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Do what I did, burn ALL your furniture! Chopped up the couch, chairs, beds (not the mattresses of course) EVERYTHING!
    Ended up sitting on crates, until we had to burn them too.
    Then ended up on our arses, which we decided were too cold and damp to burn anyway.

A large plank works best. They're cheap and when the end in the fire burns away you just push it in a bit more!
    Also, find some DIY place and steal their pallets. The blocks that separare the two sides burn for ages.

Originally posted by JesusThatsGreat
    I will take it off ya :)

We could just let you and Third_Echelon keep farting.
    1.) We get the added heat-injection.
    2.) We get vastly more excercise from having to run very very far away.

I like the palette-stealing idea - seems even better than the wood-foraging in the field. Since we live right behind a fairly sizable shop, I think we might be onto a winner there! Of course, it'll only heat one room, but its better than nothing. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i have a spare 17 inch monitor i think its a few years old i'd say it could heat a small room :)

i presume your doing the simple things like keeping the doors shut :eek: however i have little sympathy for you coz you have a TFT monitor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

burn your text books, it's about all they're good for...;)

How about ya climp in under my left boob? Its nice and warm in there.

My goodness the poverty! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask for an early Christmas present from parents to pay for oil? Or buy some peat briquettes and light a fire (or steal newspapers from the recycling bins at shops and scavenge timber cut-offs from building sites, skips and joinery shops).

Make sure all the doors and windows are sealed well (do not block vents).

Note electricity is more expensive than oil, but you get 2 months credit.

Beware, alcohol and hot drinks in a cold room are not good for you (they give the body a false sense of security).

Are ye comfortable with the idea of all sharing the one bedroom at night?

Oh, get someone to share bed with (we won't ask questions).

Don't take this as an insult: Get a job! It means less time at home and more money to pay for oil.

Originally posted by Victor

Yeah you could into Feyla's bed and hug his hair. The things living in his hair should give of a good bit of heat :)

If not, try this, when he opens his bedroom door in the morning, drop a match from the attic to ignite the gases escaping from his room... I hear Bord Gais are in talks with him already so be quick...

Or finally, you just jump into bed with Trigg, he is very comfortable with his sexuality so you should have no problem persuading him to let ya jump in with him ;):D

Hey, you leave the mice on my hair alone. They keep me company.

• Advertisement

(or steal newspapers from the recycling bins at shops and scavenge timber cut-offs from building sites, skips and joinery shops).

Its just occured to me that we have large (and increasing) amount of cardboard boxes (and fast food bags - you know who you are!). Must start burning them, instead of complaining about them blocking the hall!
    Note electricity is more expensive than oil, but you get 2 months credit.

We get about 2 days credit, given the arrears!

I'm not sure I'm comfortable sharing the same house at night!
    Get a job! It means less time at home and more money to pay for oil.

I have a job - I just don't want to come home to the igloo anymore! And I earn f*ck all (bloody scholarships).
    Or finally, you just jump into bed with Trigg, he is very comfortable with his sexuality so you should have no problem persuading him to let ya jump in with him

He didn't appreciate that comment. :ninja:
    Hey, you leave the mice on my hair alone. They keep me company.

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen. The mice are his "friends". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

when you do burn stuff, try slow burning fuel (eg turf rather than wood).

Put a brick in the fire - once it gets warm it will release heat slower.

you could always move to the middle/top floors of an apartment complex - you'll get the rising heat form the rest of the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hi everyone,
    like all good students (albeit a part-funded MSc. student), I go through periods of utter-bankruptcy. At the moment, this is the case for myself, and my 3 housemates. In timely fashion, our oil-supply has run out, and its pretty damn cold this weekend. In the house, you can quite clearly see your breath in the air, and everyone is wrapped in blankets, and many, many jumpers.
    Can anybody suggest a way to heat up ourselves / the house in general, without the need for large amounts of electricity or hot water? We live across from a field, and we have, in the past, foraged for wood to burn, but this only heats one room, and still leaves the rest of them (particularly the bedrooms) freezing cold. Is there any simple solution out there?

Radical idea. Sort your personal finances out and get fuel as a priority, or buy really thick duvet and tie it around you (contricts movement, and great fun if you fall over..but warm). I don't really see what you want people to tell you except stuff that surely a fully grown adult would know.

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Radical idea. Sort your personal finances out and get fuel as a priority, or buy really thick duvet and tie it around you (contricts movement, and great fun if you fall over..but warm). I don't really see what you want people to tell you except stuff that surely a fully grown adult would know.

I was hoping for some magical solution, somewhat akin to the brick solution. Thanks Yossarin! We have an attic conversion with a skylight and 6 computers, so that proves to be the warmest room. Very hard to go down to bed though! The brick idea is kinda cool. I wonder how well it would work if you transported it around the house? What we really need is a mobile fireplace & chimney!

What we really need is a mobile fireplace & chimney!

I can make one for you.. If we move around the desks I can make room for a shelf too [/private joke]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Get a job:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Shewhomustbe...
    Get a job:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's really fvcking good advice...

Ooo, who lost their sense of humour????

I think it froze off....

Ah you poor pet,
    if you rub it and make it all nice and warm again you just might be able to stick it back on with some tape:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

feylya & Shewhomustbe...
    stay on topic
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

We could just let you and Third_Echelon keep farting.
    1.) We get the added heat-injection.
    2.) We get vastly more excercise from having to run very very far away.

I like the palette-stealing idea - seems even better than the wood-foraging in the field. Since we live right behind a fairly sizable shop, I think we might be onto a winner there! Of course, it'll only heat one room, but its better than nothing. Cheers.

Lads id be more than happy to help out....

If you all pitch in.. a tenner should be enough... buy me a chinese and maybe a few erdingers... cost rising to €20... I will heat the house for ya.... a tony's could do the job as well...

As a friend i am willing to help.... oh and i will leave my the take away bag from the chinese so you can burn it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by feylya
    Memory? What's that? Yeah, maybe I'll put on my fingerless gloves and crappy clothes, not wash for a few days and see what I can get.

just a normal day for you then????

Telling Angry to get a job is pointless. He already said he is doing a sponsored MSc..

How warm is your gaf anyway? According to Phil, you couldn't even manage to operate the TV last night! Can't see you operating a heating system. Not unless it has a "mash keypad here" button! (i.e. an Apple Mac)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement