Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chess board

Options
  • 23-11-2003 11:55pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to be some interest in a thread on the games board for this so I thought i'd start the pawn advancing. It would be used to organise a ladder and talk about chess i guess. Having it as a public community board would be enough i think.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

An excellent opening gambit!!!

I saw the thread and had post8ing here on my to-do list!

I'd be well game for this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

I'd add my vote to this.

Put it in sports - we can kick sand in the jocks' faces.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sir, might I remind you that there are in fact only three sports namely hunting, shooting and fishing. The rest are mere games...

I reckon it's a GO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I lend my support to this product and/or service

I would like to join a boards.ie chess ladder / leauge, Is it possible to have a private leauge in ZONE, YAHOO or chess lab ??

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    I reckon it's a GO
    Hmmm,go, theres another game worth playing.... :D

But yes, im up for this defo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

No objections from me. It's one game that I doubt will lose popularity in a couple of months like all the other OMG WHY IZ DER NOT A MAX PAYNE 2 BORD!?1 type suggestions.

I'd also be interested in such a venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

cool, i'm badly out of practice but i'd love to get back into chess

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by syke
    An excellent opening gambit!!!
    There are other kinds of gambits?:p

Sounds like the kind of thing that would be good if there's interest and doesn't fit in anywhere else (ignore me, I just wanted to post about the gambit thing).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, I guess if we are going for a Poker forum, we should also have a "posher" chess board too :):)

I have NO idea where to put the two if them... are they games? Are they afterhours distractions?

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Games!

C4

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

boards.ie/vbulletin > Games > Table Games > Cards
    boards.ie/vbulletin > Games > Table Games > Board games
    boards.ie/vbulletin > Games > Table Games > Chess / Draughts ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Something like that Victor.

DeV.

Originally posted by Victor
    boards.ie/vbulletin > Games > Table Games > Chess / Draughts ;)
    Oh you're in for a world of pain Victor, cos the pain train is a comin. WOO WOO! Next stop: Victor, and the chess club be disembarkin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Thumbs up from me!

I love chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Deff thumbs up from me it would be cool any idea who the mod's would be?
    perhaps Ranger (thats not his nick) i know he plays allot of chess or oeNeo perhaps i think he plays chess too,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Poker would have to be After Hours

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Poker would have to be After Hours
    No thats the poke-her board. :D

[
    boards.ie/vbulletin > Games > Table Games > Cards
    boards.ie/vbulletin > Games > Table Games > Board games
    boards.ie/vbulletin > Games > Table Games > Chess / Draughts / GO ;)
    [/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by tman
    cool, i'm badly out of practice but i'd love to get back into chess
    Same here. I'd love to give it a go but I forget nearly everything.

• Advertisement

Here's your chessboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Dev,
    So, apart from discussing Queen's Gambit Declined and other such technical opening moves, I am fairly sure that people would love to be having a Boards.ie tournament - so they can add titles to their sigs like the Chess versions of the Knights of Comeonbanus and such.

Here's a few ideas which may be of interest to the admins or the moderator when you choose one.

1) Setting up a yahoo group which can be linked to from the boards, stewardship to which should be given to chess mods and admins naturally. The yahoo group is the best way to access the games section of yahoo which is free and also the best way to keep tabs on who is meant to be playing who and when.

2) A stickied thread to post the results of the tournament on Boards.ie - this will naturally contain the names of competitors and should maybe be locked for only the mod to change the scores?

2a) A thread to gloat when we win (has to be done like!)

3) The mod could take some deliberate effort to set up a glossary of moves - explaining to noobs what En Passant and Castling and so on is (mind you my mother has been playing for years and when I castle, I get accused of cheating!)

I have already proposed the Yahoo group on the Chess board so see what they say and hopefully sometime soon I'll be whipping all your asses :cool:

Regards,
    Dave.

Ah...I only just found it there...hidden away well enough, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

and hopefully sometime soon I'll be whipping all your asses

ammm .. no thanks ??

Anywho are you saying you have already created a yahoo chess group for us ?
    where is it ?

I'd like to see a Boards Chess Champion.... maybe an annual championship with the winner getting a years sponsorship pack?

Could do the same for the Pool guys...

DeV.

That's a hefty prize and I would sure like a shot at it - something along the lines of what I was suggesting.

However, a monthly champion might stimulate competition whereas a yearly champion could stagnate it unless we have over 30 players, which as yet we don't, and for a monthly prize, I'd say simply the prestige of being awarded a title is excellent - and then have an annual tournament also.

Question; is this going to be run directly by the admins then DeV?

Post message: boards_ie@yahoogroups.com
    Subscribe: boards_ie-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

These are the emails for our Yahoo group from which I am hoping to set up the tournament.

Below is the link thereto...

Links to Boards.ie Yahoo Chess Group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

We need a mod for the chess board.

For little things like what sarge has done here. One will be needed sooner or later anyway. It would help if we hand some kind of 'leader to get the boards.ie chess tournie going quicker.

O f course, I suggest myself as a candidate. I'm a semi-serous chess player and used to play for my school. I've gone down to kilkenny for a chess tourenment but never played enough to get a rating, im taking part in a upcoming tournement next febuary in my school.

kif and eomar would also be perfectly good also.

Eomer appears to be a good choice.

I don't want to mod the board.

• Advertisement

Thank you both for the vote of confidence. I would be delighted to mod the chess if that is an option.

Regards,
    Dave.

Advertisement