Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless PCI card - dies when I enable wired LAN!?

• 24-11-2003 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive just purchased a Belkin 54g Wireless Desktop PCI card. Ive found the it works perfectly to my neighbourhood wLAN (to an AP).. until I enable any other TCP IP network connection (ok, except Dial Up). I need other network connections to connect to my own wired LAN. I have ensured everything has different IPs and also tried bridging (via XP) the connections to no avail.

As an experiment I tried I disabling everything but the Belkin, start pinging our Wireless server in Command Prompt. The second I enable my wired LAN connection or enable the Windows XP bridge the Ping starts reports "Request timed out" and it doesnt come back to life. Disable the other network connections and it resumes the pinging!

I have tried different drivers for the Belkin already and still havent figured it out.. its such a stupid problem Im thinking I may have overlooked something obvious!

Any ideas?

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I can happily report I resolved the problem. It appears some new Wireless devices (and other devices) do not support "Promiscuous Mode", basically meaning they will not work with software bridges. My older wireless device did support this mode and the only reason I can see for the new devices not to support Promiscuous Mode is to force users to buy hardware routers\access points instead of using the free XP option. :mad:

Thankfully MS has a KBase article and a solution in place:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302348

Tested it works perfectly, Wireless and Lan connections work together and other pcs on my wired network can use the bridge with no problems.

Matt

Advertisement