Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological psychology..

Options
  • 24-11-2003 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

..the science of the brain. Has anyone here studied it? Can you recommend any books on the subject?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Do you mean general Neuroscience or Biology as it pertains to Psychology?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by syke
    Do you mean general Neuroscience or Biology as it pertains to Psychology?

No, I mean neuroscience as it applies to psychology...studying the structure and composition of the brain, how it develops, what is schizophrenia in terms of brain chemistry and biology, hearing, speech and language, consciousness, development of the human nervous system from conception to birth, human sensory systems yadda yadda yadda :)

The Synaptic Organization of the Brain by Shepard

Its a pretty good Neurophamracology/physiology one.

Originally posted by syke
    The Synaptic Organization of the Brain by Shepard

Its a pretty good Neurophamracology/physiology one.

Looks ok, yeah, i'll try and pick it up in whsmith, amazon don't do the softcover.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

there's a book called biopsychology by pinel, which i found very good as an introduction to the subject.

is this for college or general interest? if it's for general interest, or indeed an introductory course, then the pinel book would be ok, but if you want something more in depth and complex, then i'd say go for the shepard book

• Advertisement

It's for uni. Cheers for the recommendation, are you studying psychology yourself?

The Biochemical Basis of Neuropharmacology by Cooper, Roth and Bloom is another of the more sciencey ones.

Originally posted by eth0_
    It's for uni. Cheers for the recommendation, are you studying psychology yourself?

not any more; i studied it in first year but i didn't get into second year to do the mode 1 honours degree. i still have an interest in it, though, it's worth doing some indepentent reading on it to get a different perspective on other things i'm still doing in college.

another psychology related book i'd reccomend is the blank slate by steven pinker, it's about the philosophy of mind, but it brings in neuroscience, experimental and empirical evidence, linguistics, and philosophy

Originally posted by beardedchicken
    not any more; i studied it in first year but i didn't get into second year to do the mode 1 honours degree. i still have an interest in it, though

Cheers for the book recommendations. Would you not think of going back to uni, even part time? The open uni is good, and Dublin Business School do psych part time

oh, i'm still in uni, i'm just doing different subjects! i've actually checked, and there's still loads of options open to get into psychology, without having done the mode 1 degree. it's possible to do a hDip in psychology, which, combined with an honours degree in a related discipline, will bring you up to the standard of the full honours degree, and will be enough to be recognised by the Irish and British Psychology Societies.

i may try and get back into psychology in the end, but i've got other interests as well that i'd like to try and pursure, i'm just really not sure where i want to go after i finish my degree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement