Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to NTL cable

Options
  • 24-11-2003 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Having recently moved house (in Dublin central area) I'm thinking about getting NTL in. However:
    1. They want to charge 300 Euros to deliver the cable to my(new) house - though my neighbours already have it
    2. I only want the basic free to air channels (Irish, BBC, Channel 4 etc) and good radio reception - not any add on sports or movie packages
    3. I have 4 sockets into the house but will only be using 1 TV and don't want to pay 4 charges for 4 connections - which I'm told they will bill for.

Do I have any alternative to NTL or are they effectively a monopoly?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

V

Comments

Well you can get a dish and a ftv card at the same price roughly when you buy the digibox have it installed, assuming you can put up a dish.

The ftv card will give you the five uk channels aswell as dosens more including a lot of news channels like sky and bbc 24.
    Thats without having to subscribing to Sky ie from then out no monthly subscriptions.
    You will need a UK contact to get that ftv card thoug so have a read of all of this thread for further details on that.

Have a look here as regards what an instalation and new digibox and dish will cost you.

Then a simple indoor aerial and booster from argos at a cost of maybe €30 or a bit more will give you the Irish channels fairly well.

*edit* the digibox will give you excelent quality stereo digital radio reception on loads of channels also including the BBc's, lots of commercial channels, classic fm and Virgin etc..

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Thanks Man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

And if you connect your digibox to a hi fi amp you'll be cooking!!!.:) :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If they're charging you 300 to get connected and you only watch one TV, satellite is a better option as (the former Mad) Man said

Advertisement