Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much snow would you be happy with?

Options
  • 24-11-2003 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Had this discussion at home the other night, so I'll trow it up here.

I remember the big snow of 1982 and how wonderful it all was, and I always wanted another snowfall of 3 or 4 feet, and an auld Blizzard thrown in for good measure.

It still holds true!

So, how much snow do you wish for? Maybe none at all? Maybe a vote on this....

:)

How much snow would you be happy with? 53 votes

None. Hate snow.
    0% 0 votes
    A light dusting.
    13% 7 votes
    Half an inch and I'm happy.
    5% 3 votes
    3 inches, little bit of distruption.
    5% 3 votes
    6 inches, I dont fancy going in the car now, more like a toboggan
    7% 4 votes
    1 Foot, no chance of work :D
    22% 12 votes
    2 Feet, pile it high!!
    28% 15 votes
    3 Feet, Its at the window ledge!!! W00t!!
    16% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Anything to keep me from having to go to work!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I'd like a light dusting so I could go out and take some photos without killing myself and then maybe a minimum of three inches or so. It shouldn't last more than 3-4 days at a time so we could get to the shops etc.

I remember 1982 as well, though we didn't get quite as much as the rest of the country. Our milkman came round late one night with bottles of gas for anyone who might be cold. By the time the government gave everyone time off school the snow had gone, but of course we took it anyway. :D

Next big snow here was in '87 and happened the day after my geography teacher had fervently argued that there was no way we would get it, spending most of the class explaining why. :rolleyes:

Then there was 2001 in Dublin when I narrowly avoided making it into the Irish Times as I stood half buried in snow waiting for an elusive 49 bus. Thankfullly the photographjy found more interesting subjects up the Wicklow mountains....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 trunks

the clouds get dark at about 3 oc there is a light fluter of snow till 5 and then just as every one in there cars going home the whiteness falls ;-) 4000 sranded motorists LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

0 inches please. i hate the stuff because

a) little scumbags throwing snowballs compressed tightly with a rock in the middle of it :mad:
    b) i always get violently sick when it snows because the glare when sunlight hits it. i have to wear sunglasses :mad:
    c) BAH HUMBUG :D

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    0 inches please. i hate the stuff because

a) little scumbags throwing snowballs compressed tightly with a rock in the middle of it :mad:

Grr forgot about them. :mad: Thankfully they are a bit of a rarity out here in the sticks...

Can anyone remember when we last had a proper white Christmas? I recall seeing flurries of snow in 1995, but it didn't stick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A light dusting will do me! I don't want to be parked up for too long! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I hope we get loads this winter, I wanna get stranded in work:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

When I was a kid I always prayed for snow like every other kid, but it was ruined for me cos my dad is a truck driver and my mam used to remind me of how dangerous it was on the roads when it snowed. That always took the joy out of a good heavy snowfall. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Then there was 2001 in Dublin when I narrowly avoided making it into the Irish Times as I stood half buried in snow waiting for an elusive 49 bus

It snowed that much in dublin then(i'm a dub:)) ?
    I dont remember hardly any snow falling in dublin that stuck for more than a day or two than in last 5 years or so. I think it was only a couple of inches snow in early 2001 and it then melted within 24 hours.

Always seems to snow knee deep-high in culchieland though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

technically it was a white christmas last year as one snow flake fell on dublin airport on christmas day!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gurramok
    It snowed that much in dublin then(i'm a dub:)) ?
    I dont remember hardly any snow falling in dublin that stuck for more than a day or two than in last 5 years or so. I think it was only a couple of inches snow in early 2001 and it then melted within 24 hours.

Always seems to snow knee deep-high in culchieland though :D

Ah, but I was waiting a loooong time for that bus, wearing an M&S long hooded coat that might repel rain, but seemed to attract snow. I was probably only covered in a few inches of it, but I still looked like a snow-woman. :p

As far as I can remember it lasted for two days where I worked-we closed early on both. By the third it started to melt, but there were still bits and pieces of snow left.

I like snow.
    As a little fella in 1982 here in Arklow I got 10 days off school.
    The road to my house was completely blocked with drifts12 feet high and we had no electricity for three days as the repair crews were marooned in Enniscorthy and Arklow.
    I can remember it started snowing in a complete white out on a thursday and didn't stop untill sunday.
    On day two of the non stop snow the car parked outside the house dissapeared under the snow and we were wading around ouside waist deep in the stuff.

On the hills above us in Wicklow Helicopters were used to drop food and supplies where the snow had drifted to the tops of the trees-thats up to 40 feet!!

My Grandad was alive at the time, he was in his ninties and visiting us from Cork and he said he had never seen anything like it.

I don't think I'll ever see the like again.

mm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

at the end of February in 1991 there was a massive amount of snow in the Meath/Louth Area. Not sure about anywhere else but I remember it started with heavy sleet just as we were heading to the Bus Depot in Drogheda to go home. By the time the bus had left it was fairly heavy snow. Took us an hour and a half to go the distance it usually took 20 minutes for. By the time the bus had reached Garristown hill it couldn't make it up so we had to abondon ship and walk. We were all seperated as people decided certain ways were better than others. Myself and my friend (both first years) went the normal route and got lost. The snow was at least a foot deep by the time we were rescued by the local JCB digger man.

Overall the snow lasted about a week and I was off school the whole time. It was the best memory I have of snow and I'd love it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

About 2 foot and quick. However i'd like it just to be on the mountains as skiing would be possible as would getting to work.

It's snowing down to 1000m this weekend so it's looking good for official ski opening next weekend!!

Snow is horrible in Ireland as it never stays long enough, bar that one time 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

i love snow. we dont see enough of it these days. usually the ground is wet and any snow just turns into slush and i hate slush

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

oh man slush sucks ass. Maybe cus its generally associated with the end of snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

no snow please. I need to be able to drive to & from work and my only means of transport is a motorbike. They arent fun in the snow/slush/ice.

Anyway, I had my fill of the white stuff back in Feb this year doing a little snowboarding in Canada :D

(-20 degrees daily is only tolerable for so long)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by rymus
    no snow please. I need to be able to drive to & from work and my only means of transport is a motorbike. They arent fun in the snow/slush/ice.

Anyway, I had my fill of the white stuff back in Feb this year doing a little snowboarding in Canada :D

(-20 degrees daily is only tolerable for so long)
    Me too.

Either no snow at all, or so much snow that I can ring work and tell them that by the time the bus got me across the city, it'd be time to go home again :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember the 1982 snow blizzard well too, i was 8 at the time and it was awesum, 2 weeks off school i think i had. From 1980 All the way till February 1991 I remember getting at least a week off school every winter coz of snow storms but that snowstorm of 1991 was really the last proper one we've had here. Since then we've had the odd snowshower or light dusting which is kinda meaningless and some years we had no visible lying snow, last winter i think all we got was a quarter of an inch of snow which stayed for 6 hours and that was it... I live in Meath. The way things have gone over last few years you stand a higher chance of a snowstorm in spain than you do in Ireland. Every other European country get their fair share of snow, even England gets a good bit but it always seems to just rain in Ireland:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Gonzo
    I remember the 1982 snow blizzard well too, i was 8 at the time and it was awesum, 2 weeks off school i think i had. From 1980 All the way till February 1991 I remember getting at least a week off school every winter coz of snow storms but that snowstorm of 1991 was really the last proper one we've had here. Since then we've had the odd snowshower or light dusting which is kinda meaningless and some years we had no visible lying snow, last winter i think all we got was a quarter of an inch of snow which stayed for 6 hours and that was it... I live in Meath. The way things have gone over last few years you stand a higher chance of a snowstorm in spain than you do in Ireland. Every other European country get their fair share of snow, even England gets a good bit but it always seems to just rain in Ireland:(

I'm sure if we dig deep we can find some way to blame the lack of snow on Fianna Fail. The can be blamed for nearly everything else that sucks in Ireland, why not the lack of snow too :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lets blame them for Global Warming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Its been years since we got a proper snowfall down here in Wexford - which sucks!! Usually have to go up to the Leinster Mountains every year to have a bit of a snow fight etc

I love snow, its fantastic, the last major snowfall I remember was in 1987 - wow that was great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Snow is great! Just back from Canada where they got about a foot of it, and it still hasn't melted 4 weeks later! The stuff we get here is crappy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A light dusting would be grand,any more than that and the country (well Dublin, anyway) grinds to a halt.

I was doing my Inter Cert (for all you youngsters, that's what us old folks had before they brought in the Junior Cert) in 1982. About half of my class made it in during the snow, and it was classes as normal for those of us who did. We had an Irish teacher who was a bit of a bollix and he decided that with the exception of two guys who lived miles away and got the bus to school nobody else had a valid excuse for being out when so many had made it in. He made a point of not revising the stuff he covered for those few days when it came closer to the exams and of also giving additional tuition to the two guys who he reckoned had a good excuse for being absent. That, and the time it took my father and myself about 3 hours to make a round trip to the local supermarket on foot (without the snow it would take comfortably less than an hour) only to find that there wasn't a loaf of bread or a pint of milk to be had, will always be my abiding memories of the 1982 snow.

Even a bit of frost for Christmas would do at this stage-anything but rain. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

i always wanted at least a foor of snow.... *sniff*
    hope it comes this new year
    *crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

It's snowing here - http://www.anpost.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

Six years on from the last post,and considering the current conditions,how do you all feel now???

SEAN

Previous posters on this thread especially welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

bring on the snow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

All or nothing with me. Nothing less that 10 foot will do, anything less than that is a waste of time...:p

Advertisement