Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Surprising AXA Quote

Options
  • 24-11-2003 3:01pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got my renewal in the door the other day. I am on the AXA traksure policy and here are my details:

Car: 1.4 Citreon Xsasa 99'
    NCB: 1 Year
    License: Full 1 year (20% due to traksure policy)

I went into AXA a month back to get insured for the remainder of the year on the Xsara, this cost me an extra 90 euro. I also had to get the tracking system transferred over, this was another 50 euro. Whilst I was there I asked them how much my premium would be for next years cover. They told me it would be €2800. This includes a €191 maintenance charge for the tracking system !

I was shocked so I got onto Hibernian and they gave me a quote of €2100 on the basis I would pass the ignition scheme.

I went into AXA and informed them of this quote. They said I was better off with them in the long as I would build up my NCB to 70% over 3 years. I said that's all well and good but I can't afford to pay that kind of money. They said there was nothing they could do.

They sent out my renewal. At the top was Standard Cover €2500+. Not sure at the mo, but then there was a line that gave me €950 credit. How can this be ? Is it a mistake.

The actual full quote was €1751 including all the options.

Since they have quoted me in writing does this mean that they cannot correct the quote if it's wrong ?

It seems a little too good to be true.

Slaan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Slaanesh
    Since they have quoted me in writing does this mean that they cannot correct the quote if it's wrong ?
    If you know they have made a mistake you cannot accept their offer, however based on what you have said, them seem to have just adjusted the premium down, as companies often do in the face of competition. You should consider carefully asking them how the credit is made up - after you get your insurance cert.

Try to find out if there is a 10 day opt-out clause or similar, if you don't like the reasons for them giving you the cheaper insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm sure if they made a mistake they'll realise it and let ya know!
    Even if they did make a mistake and dont realise it then I wouldnt say anything,
    might aswell screw them for a change. :D

I wouldnt say it was a mistake though, something similiar happened a lad I know and he just paid what they asked for and was insured for the year, no problems afterwards.

How does that traksure thing work?
    If you break the speed limit so many times are you asked to pay extra on your insurance or something?
    would really annoy me having to worry about it the whole time.

Originally posted by draffodx
    would really annoy me having to worry about it the whole time.
    Then you know what you need to do - stay within the speed limit.

Not sure, but I think it only affects renewals, not curent policies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Well im with AXA myself and when I was going for a renewal quote as my policy
    is up at the start next the month the told me the price.. i mentioned that this was
    a bit excessive as Ive been with them 4 years and no claims in that time, im 28 years old and my car is a '97 mondeo..

I shopped around and got 2 quotes for nearly €700 cheaper than AXA..

I rang back and mentioned this..

When I got the renewal notice in the post.. and it was €750 cheaper than they had
    initally quoted me..

Just challenge them on it and 99% of the time they will give it to you cheaper...
    Im convinved that most insurance companies chance their arm with quotes and
    if they are questioned they can change their minds to match their competitors
    straight away without loosing their profit margin.. :mad:

Tox

Originally posted by Victor
    Then you know what you need to do - stay within the speed limit.

90% of the time i do stay within the speed limit, but what about when ya need to overtake and ya have to push it over the limit a bit? Or trying to keep it at 30 in town does be very hard sometimes when theres no traffic.

Yeh if ya challenge them I'd say they drop it, they dont want to lose your custom so there gonna have to drop it if your gettin it cheaper somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

90% of the time i do stay within the speed limit, but what about when ya need to overtake and ya have to push it over the limit a bit?
    They make allowances for this
    Or trying to keep it at 30 in town does be very hard sometimes when theres no traffic.
    Horsepoo. I'm really curious as to why you think so though.

Originally posted by sceptre
    Horsepoo. I'm really curious as to why you think so though.

dunno actually, just when the streets empty ya can get through the town that little bit faster, seems really slow goin through at 30, i'm talkin about wee small towns that do be empty at 10:00 at night.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

dunno actually, just when the streets empty ya can get through the town that little bit faster, seems really slow goin through at 30, i'm talkin about wee small towns that do be empty at 10:00 at night.

What about pedestrians though, especially kids lurking about? Wouldn't be a nice experience if a kid ran out on the road from behind a car into your path. I would think that pedestrians is the main reason for 30mph zone in built up areas, not other traffic.

Originally posted by byte
    What about pedestrians though, especially kids lurking about? Wouldn't be a nice experience if a kid ran out on the road from behind a car into your path. I would think that pedestrians is the main reason for 30mph zone in built up areas, not other traffic.

ah no i do slow down around estates or wherever theres houses and stuff, i mean like the main street through a town where theres just shops and there's a lack of pedestrians when there closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Sometimes its nearly impossible to keep it at 30 or 40 , take the Dundalk Bypass its 30 but it is very hard to do 30 on it when there is no traffic as it seems like you are gettting nowhere. I would hate that traksure thing as you would spend more time watching the speedo than the road. There is someplaces where 40 zones just creep up on ya , if you didn't know the road you would break the speed limit going through it unless you lay on the breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ah no i do slow down around estates or wherever theres houses and stuff, i mean like the main street through a town where theres just shops and there's a lack of pedestrians when there closed.
    What, like the main street through a city? Guess where I live

(hint: it's two floors above a shop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by Slaanesh
    It seems a little too good to be true.

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me lately!!

My insurance is up for renewal in January next, so I rang AXA [about 2 months ago] to see what my renewal cost would be!! They quoted me in the region of €2,200.00, which is a drop of about €300 on last year.

I decided to check Britton Insurances, 'cause I'd gotten a dirt cheap quote for my girlfriend from them!!
    They gave me a quote of €1,100.00 [Fully Comp with all the extras] ... & guess who the insurance company was ... your right [I'm assuming you all said AXA]

I gave Britton a ring & was informed that the quote is correct [on provision of confirmation of my no claims & licence details]

So now I'm a happy camper, 'cause I've got €1,100 extra saved that I can blow on me :D:D:D [When I say me ... I mean Girlfriend if she finds out :D ]

p.s. I'm 27, Full Licence for 4 years, No Claims for 1 year [in own name] & 7ish years [named driver] & I'm a bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Sorry about the weblink ... the correct address is Britton Insurance

Originally posted by BabyEater
    Sometimes its nearly impossible to keep it at 30 or 40 , take the Dundalk Bypass its 30 but it is very hard to do 30 on it when there is no traffic as it seems like you are gettting nowhere. I would hate that traksure thing as you would spend more time watching the speedo than the road. There is someplaces where 40 zones just creep up on ya , if you didn't know the road you would break the speed limit going through it unless you lay on the breaks.
    Hint: Dundalk is the most dangerous place in the country - slow down. The through-pass has a sharp curve in it and several junctions.

Originally posted by Victor
    Hint: Dundalk is the most dangerous place in the country - slow down. The bypass has a sharp curve in it and several junctions.

it also has the worst surface of any bypass i've ever seen!

Sorry, correcting myself, Dundalk has a through-pass, not a bypass.

well it bypass's most of dundalk, tis a terrible road though, potholes everywhere!

Advertisement