Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hypnotherapy

• 24-11-2003 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

In a fit of annoyance at my inability to stop biting my nails - I've tried everything - , I've booked a session with a hypnotherapist.

I'm quite open about trying new things so I'm not exactly scared. But I am wondering about it, and what will actually happen. Has anyone tried hypnotherapy?
    What actually happens? And most importantly does it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Believe it or not, I got talking to a qualified hypotherapist who works here in Ireland one night, very interesting guy. He was qualified in Psychology, Sociology also, so he wasn't a witch doctor or anything.

While he was there, he demonstrated a technique that he used himself personally for relaxation (with my permission of course.. haha). And by good jesus if I didn't feel like I was floating in gelatin by the time he left, and this is only after spending 5 minutes with him.

I can't really remember what he said explicity, but the basic gist of it is to get you into a relaxed state, and while your in this state, your highly suggestible, meaning if he says 'You will feel your left arm grow lighter', it will indeed feel lighter. It's powerful enough to break bad habits - but keep in mind, and he told me this directly, that you can't be made to do something that you don't want to do. All those people you see on those hypnosis shows have been weeded out of very large groups so that they get all the natural exhibitionists, so theres no chance of him getting you to think or do something that you don't agree with.

My dad has had hypnotherapy once, for smoking, but it's not foolproof - he didn't smoke for weeks afterward, but owing to his lifestyle, he got back into it.

Whoever you've booked should be able to give you some more info, anyway. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

my da got the hypnosis to stop smoking. thing is that now he cant even stand the smell of them. its like a complete u-turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Vorophobe
    he wasn't a witch doctor or anything.
    bull****, he slipped you some poppers when your eyes were closed. and if it is true then this is some freaky voodoo shyt that you dont want to go near with a ten foot broomstick

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Ferdi, unless I missed the punchline, you must win trophies for ignorance. If you were taking the piss, no harm intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

are there registered Hypnotherapists in ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

a friend of mine went for hypnotherapy to stop smoking a few weeks ago, he didnt last a week off them! but on the other hand i know someone who went a few years ago and hasn't been able to stand smokers/smoking since! so i guess everyone reacts differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ali.g

hypnotism is real despite what people say....its about mind over matter which is true...but using hypnotysm to stop yourself from stopping bad habits i dont think is the right way to go....hypnotysm works and makes you do stuff you wouldnt normally do....but the things you do when your hypnotised are not things your addicted to just playful acts and such.....to stop an addiction requires mind over matter with yourself...only you can stop smoking as you have the addiction...just take it one step at a time....cut down slowly dont try stop altogether as it doesn work.....its up to you to stop not the hypnotist!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hipchick

I'm studying Hypnotherapy at the moment and its very interesting.

The thing is everybody is different therefore their suggestability is different, some are more emotionally suggestable and others are more pyhsically suggestable. The hypnothist will find out which you are, and then suggest to your subconcsious that smoking/biting your nails or what ever, is wrong for you.

I think if you don't beleive that you can do it either with help or on your own then you will not succeed.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mr Pinchy

Why not let the hypnotherapist suggest the bad habits out of you, and then learn self hypnosis to strengthen the suggestion when it starts to fade. There is a good book on hypnosis / self-hypnosis by William Ousby -The theory and practise of hypnotism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement