Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intersil Prism WiFi cards

• 24-11-2003 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone any suggestions of where to get Prism 2/2.5/3 powered WiFi cards, both PCI and PCMCIA? I know that its a fairly old processor, but hopefullt its still being used...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

you can get prism 2.5 chipset pcmcia cards under the brandname senao or rebadged as netgate. They've the best receive sensitivity i've seen, good bit better than the lucents or ciscos.

All the ones I've seen are 100 or 200mw so they'd be illegal here, but you can probably get some made for the european market. edigitalnetworks i think was one of the suppliers.

Greg

They work under hostap mode, which is the only reason i can think of for someone specifically wanting a prism chipset card.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Linksys and D-Link were selling Prism based cards for a while. I have 2 PCI and 2 PCMCIA cards that i used in aproject last year. Great linux support for Prism stuff....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not Linux support I'm after, its BeOS support - these cards have good, maintained drivers whereas the Rangelan and Hermes drivers have no WEP and indeed the Hermes drivers usually die on trying to change SSID....

The BeOS drivers have 40 and 104-bit WEP support for these cards - are they the actual limits or is it a case of lazy-programmer-syndrome?

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

64 bit wep = 40 bits (from the WEP Key) + 24 "magic number bits"
    not sure about the 104 bit but reckon it's similar..

Not sure about prism chip set but...
    Note: for lucent cards the WEP encryption is done by the card so you get lower throughput at 128bit, also lucent cards come in three flavours
    Bronze - no wep (usually 2mB)
    Silver - 40 bit (Morketing types call 64 bit)
    Gold - 128 bit - costs more, buy a buffalo if your driver supports it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Right, apparently the driver supports, at the moment:

Intersils own PCI cards and mini-pci

Samsung Magic Lan SWL-2210P PCI card

and "Belkin 100Mbps Wireless Notebook Adapter" on the PCMCIA side

But the author assure me its a five-minute job to support any other cards, and many work anyway.... I think I'll look for the "real" ones first though

• Advertisement
Advertisement