Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp lan password

Options
  • 24-11-2003 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

myself and a couple of my mates regularly play some network games. we also share all our mp3's etc.

problem is that when they try to access my machine they are asked for a password. now i never set a password so how can this be?? even more important, since no one knows the password, how do i get rid of it?

would it be possible to get around this by creating another account that they could log in to my machine through?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Try enabling the guest account? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Turn off simple file sharing under file options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Turn off simple file sharing under file options.
    would we still be able to share our files after this? is this a stupid question? :)

i will try out your suggestions on friday and let ye know if they work...

cheers,
    gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

have you go this machine connected to the internet? be careful what you do with filesharing and security or you'll have some 14 year old 1337 h4x0r 0wn j00 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

run an ftp server

Originally posted by gobby
    would it be possible to get around this by creating another account that they could log in to my machine through?

yup... that's what you need to do. Create an account... in the sharing options of the directory you want to share, set the permissions to allow this user only to have read access and you should be sorted.

have you go this machine connected to the internet?
    nope. for exactly the reason u said! if we need to use the net we have another machine so we can go get what we need then disconnect from the lan and connect to the lan.

get yourself a cheap crappy pentium box and use a tiny linux router/firewall setup. there are tons of easy to use ones on the net.

Advertisement