Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaguar Computers - Just Bought a PC

• 24-11-2003 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I recently bought a pc from Jaguar Computers - having got a link off boards.ie . If your wondering how it all went, read on!

(by the way, I was advised that if it happend that I actually SAID something that spoke highly of a company on boards, it could be seen as advertising. Fortunately I work with some of the moderators of this site, so there's multiple testaments to the authenticity of this post, and no evil corporate plot involved at all. Now that we've got all that out of the way.....)

PC Specs
    Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz
    Gigabyte GA8SIMLHP
    E-Star Deluxe ATX case w/300W PSU
    512MB DDR
    80GB 7200rpm
    52X CD-ROM
    COMBO DVD+CDRW
    Creative Labs SB 5.1 Digital
    Neto Dragon 56k v.92 Internal Modem
    Realtek 100mbps RJ-45
    Keyboard/Mouse/Floppy

Total Price: €847 (inc VAT)

Firstly, a BIG PLUS goes out to this company in regard to ordering. I don't own a credit card, but decided to call them anyway. They were completely fine with this, and told me just to go ahead and tell them what I wanted over the phone, and they'd put it all together for me. I placed the order on a Tuesday, and was told that at the latest it would be ready on Friday at the latest. He told me to ring back during the week incase they had it finished earlier, and sure enough! - by Thursday lunchtime the whole thing was ready. Not too shabby!

Location wise, it's a bit hard to find without good directions (incase your wondering, across the road from the Red Cow Inn, behind the tile factory. But then again I didn't ask). Upon arrival, I had the whole thing in 2 minutes, cash paid, ready to rumble. Everything was neatly boxed, and I caught a cab back into town for 16 euro. Sweet as.

BUT NOW!.. to the actual goods. The system I ordered above are with upgrades, eg. what was originally a 40gb 7200, for an additional €19 you get a 80GB 7200rpm... not bad! I got a few other upgrades aswell, equally as good as price. The system doesn't come with a monitor as standard, but they'll throw in a 17inch SVGA monitor for €99. It isn't great, but you get what you pay for.
    Also, I didn't bother upgrading my video card to the ATI Radeon 7000 64mb for an extra €49, I intend to buy a better one seperately. However, owing to the powerful nature of the system, it crunches the graphics of most recent games very well with the onboard S3 Savage4 - so Max Payne 2/GTA III are indeed playable. You mightn't be able to to tell if an enemy had shaved that morning from fifty feet, but for an onboard graphics card, it absolutely canes.

The system comes with all the latest drivers and some bundled software, but NOT with an operating system however (that would add to the price significantly). But hey, how hard is it to grab a copy of XP off one of your friends, not that.. I recommend .. that.. ;)

All in all, extremely happy with the outcome. The people there are champions, very friendly, and even the girl on the front desk is dead sexy. So I absolutely recommend them.

http://www.jaguarcompsys.ie/systems/index.htm (not the funkiest of websites, but hey, it gets the job done)

Any other queries, leave a post. *nod* Happy hunting!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I too recently bought a system from Jaguar

Intel Celeron 2.0GHz
    Gigabyte GA8SIMLHP
    256MB DDR
    60GB 7200rpm
    1.44mb
    ATI Radeon 7000 64mb €45
    52X CD-ROM
    E-Star Deluxe ATX w/300W PSU
    Neto Dragon 56k v.92 Internal
    Realtek 100mbps RJ-45
    Creative Labs SB 5.1 Digital + €45
    600 Watt A/C 2.1 Channel with Subwoofer + €12
    112 Key PS/2
    2 Button 520 DPI PS/2
    1 Year Back to Base
    17" SVGA Colour Monitor + €99.00

Total Price €531 ex VAT ( over 200 yoyo cheaper than dell on that day although Dell offered an O/s)

I ordered this system on monday the 13th in the morning
    and asked for it to be ready for Wednesday Afternoon /Thursday morning.
    And sure enough it was ready wednesday morning..again I "aquired" my own copy of XP pro which is easy to install.

I must say the build quality of the box is excellent ( i opened it up to add in myown CD-RW and to remove the PCI modem) The fanf are excellent and the diagnostic utilitys the come with the Mobo are excellent. The tower looks cool too. the monitor is fairly cool...infact the only bit i didnt like was the mouse ( its a bit light and has no roller)

All together an excellent purchasing experiance with these guys and I would reccomend them to one and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Hey those prices are damn good... maybe i can afford a new machine, all is not lost! How's the noise coming out of those machines? After putting my own machine together with [very noisy] bits & pieces last time, I've come to the conclusion that as long as the specs are decent enough... all I need is a f**king quiet computer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Dell prices at the moment are awful. I saw a price list recently where they were caned by a Fujitsu offering.

Many kiddies (and teachers too) qualify for the student prices on the OS .

The student/teacher version of Office may be installed on up to 3 home PC's, thats the version with everything except access ISTR.

M

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wasn't there a link with Europlex a long time ago ?

Still if you are going OpenSource not having to subsidise M$ is an advantage..

Usually get spare mice etc. there

(Nessa?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

How's the noise coming out of those machines?

its nae too bad... The fans and the MOBO are good and the hard drive isnt as noisy as i expected..but its not exactly silent either....I went from a fujitsu PII noise machine to this so it sounds silent to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

To be fair, I sourced a PC through Jaguar for a client and these are my observations:

Combo 40x DVD & 52x CD drives were both like jet engines (couldn't hear TV with either spinning)

Mobo needed BIOS flash to work (machine had NOT been tested after construction)

They phoned to say the chosen 800MHz mobo NEEDED DDR400 (at extra cost) to which I readily agreed but then they supplied a 533Mhz CPU instead of 800Mhz which kind of negates the NEED for DDR400 and meant Hyper Threading couldn't be enabled. On phoning support, they insisted the only P4 that supported HT was the P4 3GHz?

I had to buy an 800MHz cpu and keep the 533Mhz. Then the client noticed high case temps and I discovered the side panel fan was fitted wrong way around.

(by the way, I don't work for any competitive company, just telling it like it is.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by Vorophobe

PC Specs

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz
    Gigabyte GA8SIMLHP
    E-Star Deluxe ATX case w/300W PSU
    512MB DDR
    80GB 7200rpm
    52X CD-ROM
    COMBO DVD+CDRW
    Creative Labs SB 5.1 Digital
    Neto Dragon 56k v.92 Internal Modem
    Realtek 100mbps RJ-45
    Keyboard/Mouse/Floppy

Total Price: €847 (inc VAT)

specs are pretty good, with the exception on 2 things, one you mentioned was the onboard graphics and secondly is this piece of crap: Neto Dragon 56k v.92 Internal Modem. I've dealt with many of these modems before, the only thing they're good for is casual browsing. They're noisey feckers when dialing up, you have no hope of gaming online with them (well when you could game online with a 56k hehe ) and i've gone through 3 of them so far, replaced 4 in customers computers (well what do you expect for €15).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

I bought a PC for a customer too, good price - havent had any complaints so far (Fingers crossed) One gripe was that it was ment to be sent on a wednesday, to be delivered on thurs, waited till friday as it still hadnt arrived (it was going to donegal so thought id give them another day) so rang up - she said it had been sent and must be in some depot so she would look in to it, rang back and said it would be there on sat. In the mean time I rang the courier who told me it hadnt been send wed or thurs.

Didnt lke the fact they were lying to me - hope this isnt a policy for them.

Prices are good though :) Pitty about the website :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You can still build a PC from parts cheaper by buying from the UK. Only an option if you know what you are doing I know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    You can still build a PC from parts cheaper by buying from the UK. Only an option if you know what you are doing I know.
    And you don't have any DOA's
    Cos the postage there and back for returns might add up...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    And you don't have any DOA's
    Cos the postage there and back for returns might add up...

Like I said, once you know what you are doing. But you're right thats the risk you take with buying from the internet. But you can be saving quite abit of money. Generally with riskier and heavier items like monitors, printers etc. you can buy those in your local shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

actually I'm in england at the moment.

I'm buying a full machine from Jaguar to be picked up and brought here by my uncle. I'm making a killing on the exchange rate. mhhwwwaaaaahhahah....

Buying small once off parts I'd agree with RicardoSmith, but for the amount of parts necessary for a whole system, its not tenable.
    Dhl'ing a full computer (screen and PC box) to Dublin from north London costs STR £108 (€155~ish). I know this 'cos i phoned them yesterday and asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I've always kept QT about this, because when I noticed it was too late and it was a long time ago. So if you people are getting good stuff off Jaguar that's cool. But I'm peppering reading this.

The first and last machine I got off Jaguar was in 1997. Basically it was a p2-266, 32mb RAM, 4GB disk, 1MB PCI video and 15" monitor. I went 15" monitor so to get a p2-266 instead of a p2-233 (and 17") because the jump was expensive and I couldn't afford both together.

[The good]
    4GB IDE disk was IBM, and it was so fast, it well out lasted its time. Great choice.

The case used rails to attach 5 1/4" drives. They didn't include anymore than what was holding the CDROM in, so about 18 months later when I rang them looking for more, they knew what case I was talking about and posted more out to me for free - and I offered to pay.

[The bad]
    The machine was 3 weeks late, firstly because they had problems getting a p2-266 (as apposed to p2-233s) and also ATX was new, so they had to get bits specifically made for the case. Of course it was always just a couple of days and at one point I actually went and called in because it was getting silly.

The case wasn't great, so after a couple of years I moved the machine to another (better) case. A while later after getting new gear I went to put it back. I've no idea how they got it all to fit with the custom bits, I've never been able to fit it all back together. Seriously.

The RAM was FP, not EDO as ordered.

Wrong drivers - I rang and complained about this but they just wouldn't have any of it - "they're on the CD", "its the wrong CD", "no its not". I just got tired arguing and got them off the Internet, but thats not the point.

Monitor failed after 13 months. That was a p1sser. Not necessarily their fault, but its still bad.

[The inexcusable]
    The p2-266 was actually a p2-233 overclocked and the f**kers charged me the difference. I just wish I'd noticed soon enough, I could have sued their ass. This in general became a serious problem at the time and Intel clamped on it with locked multipliers.

Anyway, it was all a long time ago, however I have and will never buy a machine, or anything else off them again - ever.

I feel better now :D

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

[The inexcusable]
    The p2-266 was actually a p2-233 overclocked and the f**kers charged me the difference. I just wish I'd noticed soon enough, I could have sued their ass. This in general became a serious problem at the time and Intel clamped on it with locked multipliers.

F**K me!

33mhz doesn't seem a lot with 3000mhz processors around does it?

There is a chance they were sold on a overclocked cpu or stuck the wrong one in..
    Was the speed marked on the Plastic shell ?? - ie. how obvious was it.

33MHz is not a lot. But the premium intel charge for their fastest CPU was/is has no bearing on the fractional speed increase...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

33MHz is not a lot. But the premium intel charge for their fastest CPU was/is has no bearing on the fractional speed increase...

I dont really agree with the 1st point, If you were sold a 2600CPU that was 2200 stock youd have a good reason to be pissed.

Its fair to say that you get screwed on a performance\price scale though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Mobo needed BIOS flash to work (machine had NOT been tested after construction)

i agree with the above statement.. i also bought a PC from them but have alot of problems with it and ended up bringing it back... they reckon the RAM was faulty but i had a feeling it was the mobo myself...

just proves that they dont test the machines before they ship em.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

rats cocks.
    has anyone had a more recent bad experience with them ?

I'm worried now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

they are still very good value for money though.... i know other ppl who bought PCs from them without problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

The machine worked out about £1700 (inc VAT) at the time, I don't remember the exact details of individual prices of each component, but it was a toss up between a 15" monitor and a p2-266 and or a 17" and a p2-233, so that was at-least somewhere between £100-£150 at the time - you'd get a xp2500+ or better for that now :D, but the P2 was the fastest range then, no Xeon or Athlon.

There is a chance they were sold on a overclocked cpu or stuck the wrong one in..
    Was the speed marked on the Plastic shell ?? - ie. how obvious was it.

The speed, serial and manufacturing location are on the top of each P2 shell. Its not that hard to see if you look because the speed rating is quoted, but it doesn't jump out unless you specifically look.

There is a twist to this. When I got the machine of course I opened it, and underneath the cover was a sticker quoting something like "P2-233, 32mb, 4GB, 1MB VGA, 24x CDROM". The machine booted at 266, which I'd ordered, but because of the lack of drivers (and cables BTW), I rang them and this was one of the things I queried. Notably if the machine failed and they then claimed it was a 233 - I didn't know the p2's were overclockable, and it wasn't easy to see the top of the shell once everything was installed and cables etc. They just said it was a mistake and to ignore it.

You know, it could have been a mistake, but frankly once I'd got the machine they didn't care ("oh its cables now - sigh" - I only rang them once FFS), but IMO they're in the job of building these things, so they should know what they're doing.

But beyond all that, because I would never buy for them again, doesn't mean you guys shouldn't because it was a long time ago. Just make sure first you know what you're getting and when you get it, make sure you get what you paid for.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Jaguar Computers are a company I would never deal with. When building my current PC I checked with Jaguar Computers for a price on a P4 3.0 800 chip and not only did it take their sales staff 3 weeks to get back to me, they only managed to get me a price for a P4 2.66 chip? When I pointed this out to her she took another 2 weeks to get me the correct items price which was €110 more than on Komplete?

They just seem to be a sellers of bog standard gear at top class prices. Shop smart, shop ELSEWHERE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Pay some local student lad to build you a pc, you can use boards advice to steer you in the direction of specs/parts, or build yourself :D

Advertisement