Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight problem with new mobo and chip

Options
  • 24-11-2003 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Right my pc mobo and chip fried on me last saturday, so i got a replacement msi kt6 delta motherboard and an athlonxp 2600 xp processor (same as the one that was fried)

Now everything was hunky dory till yesterday when i noticed that the PC reboots itself rigt after the windows xp home screen, it does this 3 times and then it goes into windows proper and everythings fine again.

IU cant figure out whats wrong to be honest and its driving me nuts, ive run the following to see if it would pick up on any problems with ram etc

1) BIT pro Burnin test

2) Sisoft sandra max 3

3) 3d mark 2001 se with patch

all comes back saying theres nothing wrong

:confused::confused:

So anyone have any advice

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Is the mobo an exact replacement? If not, you may need to format your HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

thee mobo is different to the one i had

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

This could be a WinXP prob then cause whenever I move Win2k from one pc, using the HDD, into another it refuses to boot so try reinstalling WinXP and seeing if that stops the Copy-Protection stuff from starting. It could be something else but your best off re-installing first. Windows takes a hardware hash of your comp to make sure your not changing your hardware:( :mad: .

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by shinzon
    thee mobo is different to the one i had

shin
    If it's the same chipset (865PE,875PE) then you might get away with reinstalling the mobo drivers and then windows.
    With a different chipset, you should definitely format the drive, install windows, chipset drivers, RAID drivers, DX9b and then device drivers (audio/video/lan)

Ive actually been researching this problem here

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/service/forum/thread.php?threadid=30765&sid=e44d6283d7ca93d01b046cff52d1555e

Exact same mobo exact same problem, its a known issue apparently and theres no flipping way to correct it, once the kt6 delta hits 20 degrees celsius no matter what you do itll reboot.

god i just cant win can i, always heard MSI was a good make, what a joke. the problem is that its a rock solid mobo only for this problem, runs great

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

That's a bizarre prob; flash the BIOS to the newest one and see if that stops the erratic behaviour.

I flashed it to the latest BIOS on the msi site using msi liveupdate, made no difference, still the same cold booting prob as described in the forum above.

Dunno where to go now to be honest, this glitch doesnt stop windows loading and working, it just takes a little longer for bootup now

Sigh wish i had of gone with the Abit i was looking at

Shin

Advertisement