Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westell Wireless Modem HELP!!!!

• 24-11-2003 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to configure a Westell Modem Bus Powered USB ADSL Modem...Model Number 36R305?????

I have tried so many things and It wont work. It registers that I have a DSL line, but It doesn't take me through the setup process as normal Modems do...At no point during the installation can I enter the VPI or VCI properties..

I have even tried to create a normal dialup connection using the given properties..

Can anyone help please? This is not my first time on DSL...what to do....

PLEASE ANYONE!?

I am using XP home edition if that helps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Have you tried installing one of the free PPPoE stacks on your machine? It is possible that modem functions only as a bridge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

how do you mean dude?

Also, It is not for Wireless access. It is a USB modem....

Dialup is killing me so bad. It also worked on BT DSL..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

use this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I think you may be out of luck, XP. I've just had a look at the 36R305 Spec Sheet and it says (twice) that it supports PPP over ATM per RFC2364. This is not exactly clear, but it suggests that the unit is preconfigured for PPPoA, whereas you need PPPoE. If you can get it to do RFC2364 bridging ONLY, then RASPPPOE on your PC will do the job. The Westell site provides no support for the 305 - they simply refer you back to BT.

/edit
    I meant to add - BT DSL uses PPPoA, which is why it worked over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ask tomk and magicbd suggest, try to set the modem to Bridge mode and then install raspppoe on your PC. In raspppoe you can set up VPI/VCI etc.

If it only supports PPPoA and cannot be set to bridge mode, you may as well stick it up on Ebay, as it will never work here.

• Advertisement

TomK,

It is definitely a PPPoE modem and not PPPoA. It shows it as a PPPoE modem in the settings area. It just doesn't give me the option of setting up the VPI and VCI, and I think that is the problem..I don't have a lot of options configuring it...The only thing I cannot setup, like I said above is VPI and VCI...(my previous modem let me do this)

Click .HERE to see more info.....

Thank you for your help. The modem is picking up the DSL line and like I said it just doesn't connect.

JHMEG what do u mean by setting it to bridge mode?How would I set my modem to Bridge mode?

The last DSL modem I had was supberb but some scum stole it...

Magic Bus driver I look forward to using the program you suggested. I believe it will help the problem. I read the Help File document and it makes perfect sense...The modem comes up as a WAN Adapter and I hope changing that setting so it registers as a modem will do something..

Thanks for you help guys/galls and I am still open to suggestions.

When I get home I'll try out everything and let you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Sounds better, XP, although there's no mention of PPPoE or VPI/VCI settings in those Zen support pages either. Hope it works out for you.

Bridge mode means that the modem will handle the low-level connection, but that authentication and IP assignment will be done on your PC, using RASPPPOE or something similar. Normal modem mode would see all this being done by the modem. It remains to be seen whether the Westell can be set to bridge mode.

Ahhh yes I see what you mean now by Bridge mode. I think JHMEG was right in saying the modem was a "bridge"....

But I am quite sure that the only option I can select is PPPoE...I know there is no mention of it in the user guide ( i have two of them on my home PC), I can only select PPPoE.

Anyway Thanks for your help guys...If it doesn't work out sure I'll just buy a modem tomorrow and surf the night away:D

Thanks

Bought a new modem today.

Worked like a charm.

The other one was PPPoE....just it sucked a!ss...

Thanks for your help guys. Just glad to be back on DSL.

Advertisement