Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A7N8X - Twinmos PC 3200

Options
  • 24-11-2003 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I recently purchased some PC 3200 Twinmos ram for my new motherboard, with the intention of OC my mobo, and processor.
    I inadvertantly pushed the memory frequency to 120% , and after rebooting am unable to access the pc, or even the bios. I just get a 2 second long beep, then 2 second gap, then beep again. This will continue, till I switch off at the mains.
    Any advise?

System

Xp 2000+
    40 gb WD hard drive
    Geforce 4 TI 4600 128 mb
    512 mb PC 3200 Twinmos.
    SB live 1024 Player
    Windows XP Home SP1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

You need to reset your motherboard settings to default. This involves opening up the machine and moving a jumper about. The procedure is described in the mobo manual.

I had to do it a few times on this motherboard and it's a real pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 keith12

cheers, worked a treat. i'll be more carefull next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Hey Keith, didnt deem it neccessary to set up a new thread. Sorry for invading urs.

Ive the same mobo as u there. NAd 512 Twinmos (2 * 256 modules kit).
    What slots can i use to avail of the dualness, 1 + 2 or is it 1 + 3 or does it matter. And what speed do i put i nBios, 166?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 keith12

Well, I use the two blue slots, and when I boot the post screen indicates it's in dual channell mode. However, all three slots can be populated, and it can still be in dual channell mode??? But if you use two sticks like me , only the blue slots.
    With regard to the speed, that comes down to a couple of things.
    What speed your processer works at, what speed your ram works at, and/or if your overclocking.
    My cpu is an xp 2000 + Thoroughbred core , which operates at 266mhz , so my ram is set to 133.
    If you have an xp 2500+ or greater , chances are it operates at 166. So the cpu clock should be set at that, and then the ram too, unless your overclocking.
    You can also increse the memory timings to work faster too. This is also done in the bios.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by keith12
    Well, I use the two blue slots, and when I boot the post screen indicates it's in dual channell mode. However, all three slots can be populated, and it can still be in dual channell mode???

No.
    But if you use two sticks like me , only the blue slots.
    With regard to the speed, that comes down to a couple of things.
    What speed your processer works at, what speed your ram works at, and/or if your overclocking.
    My cpu is an xp 2000 + Thoroughbred core , which operates at 266mhz , so my ram is set to 133.
    If you have an xp 2500+ or greater , chances are it operates at 166. So the cpu clock should be set at that, and then the ram too, unless your overclocking.
    You can also increse the memory timings to work faster too. This is also done in the bios.

Cheers
    You could set it up to have asynchronous FSB/Mem frequencey settings, though in dual channel mode this will have no effect.
    Dual channel only adds about 5% performance to the machine, because athlons simply can't take advantage of it, they're only dual-pumped, so DDR fills practially all that already, with the exception of a bit of overhead (the 5% increase you see in dual-channel mode).
    P4s on the otherhand are quad-pumped, so your 2 sticks of 400Mhz DDR in dual-channel mode (effective bit rate of 800Mhz) matches perfectly with the quad-pumped 200Mhz FSB of the newer P4s (effective bit rate 800Mhz again).
    The first AMD chips to support Dual-channel are the Opterons and the AthlonFX51, though they require registered (buffered) ram, which is quite a bit more expensive compared to equivalent speed and size unregistered DDR dimms, and DDR3200 registered dimms are extremely rare as they're not really used or needed in server environments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement