Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL and certain modem/routers

• 24-11-2003 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Following on from Eircom's problems in Dolphin's Barn over the weeked, has anyone found that they're broken something else? I have a D-Link and an Actiontec modem/router here, and neither will log into Eircom. It fails just after the CHAP Success bit. The session appears to be just terminated. I think other routers (based on ATMOS) like Netgear might also be affected.

Strangely, my ZyXEL and the eircom-supplied Netopia can log in fine...

Even more strangely, they can all log in fine to Netsource!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I remember reading some post (I'm sure it was on boards.ie, could have been ie.comp) about a year/year and half ago.
    Basically the guy was using some router (can't remember the name) and after there was an upgrade done to a BAS it stopped working.
    It was probably a crappy router though, but it was similar to what's happening to yours.

Right, found the thread here.
    That guy had a problem after an upgrade to one of the ASAMs though, but I guess it's possible the other upgrade could have caused it.
    You should probably give them a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Frank, thanks for that.

The issue micko42 is talking about seems to be in relation to how Alcatel chose to interpret the specs (Alcatel equipment is infamous for this in development circles), and whereas some router (and DSLAM) manufacturers see a particular parameter as optional, Alcatel read the spec to mean this parameter was mandatory. Hence an incompatability.

eircom OTOH use Redback DSLAMs, which are very popular. However this problem seems to be to do with the problems eircom were having over the weekend in Dolphin's Barn. The routers in question can log in now (as of 9:01am this morning), but I fear eircom must have restored an old backup of their Radius server -- the account I'm trying to log in with now gets a CHAP Success, followed immediately by a PADT (terminate request), and the connection therefore drops. Oh, and at 75c a minute for tech support (for something they broke) I don't like phoning them. 54 euro a month is enough IMHO!

Would someone who has some connection with eircom and frequents these boards (the Guru, ecksor) be able maybe to comment on what's happening? From phonecalls to Eircom and Netsource, I'm only getting bits and pieces of info, sometimes conflicting...

The ASAMs (DSLAMs) are Alcatel, the BAS servers are Redback.
    If it was anything to do with the Radius servers I'd imagine you'd be getting login failed, regardless, you'll probably have to call them to get this sorted out.

Frank, I stand corrected -- the BASes are indeed Redback (yes, bas1.dbn.dublin.eircom.net is a redback). I will call them again in a while, but could you (Frank) hazard a guess why one eircom account gives a CHAP Success followed by a PADT whereas another (on the same hardware) works fine?

As an aside: are those Alcatel DSLAMs popular? I know they are incompatible with the software as supplied and written by one of the planet's biggest ISPs!

• Advertisement

Not too sure why that's happening.
    Could be that something got messed up on the radius server wrt those logins.
    Get them to set you up with a new login, I'd say that'll sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

I had exactly this problem today. PPP would do the CHAP auth but then the BAS would send me an LCP termination request. The odd things is I could see IP traffic coming in for my old address.

What happens is the BAS forgets to disconnect an old PPPoE session, so you can't get a new one. Even leaving it 12 hours didn't solve it for me. Had to call Eircom and they fixed it inside a few minutes.

longword, thanks for that. Was the terminate after a CHAP Success? If so, this is exactly what is happening to me...

longword, you were correct. The account was still on eircom's system as being logged in, which eircom acknowledged as being a problem with their system. They also said they're fixing it this week. So here's hoping...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

I'm also on Dolphin's Barn, and my link went down on Saturday night, round 2 am (Sunday morn actually). Was away Sunday so I left the router off, but it still wouldn't log in tonight Monday around 6pm.

Gave the premium no. a call and they logged me out, after which it was ok. This is the second time this has happened, and I've only had BB since 4/11 :(

I really hope they fix this soon, as otherwise the service has been fine with good pings (30ms to jolt) and download speeds (50kb sustained)

john

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

Eircom currently have three BAS servers in dublin The problem as already stated is the server is not releasing the connection .Summerhill Priory Park and dolphins Barn are the location and name of fore mentioned .Eircom have run patches from alacatel on summerhill and p. park to fix the problem and it seems to be working well now .

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

Arrgh, it happened again last night (7th Dec) at 11:50pm.

Was using BB at the time the link dropped, sync light went out - then came back 30 seconds later. After that I couldn't log in, no matter how long I tried / left the modem off for. :(

Rang 1550 this morning, and sorted it. The tech was surprised that it still happened (did they ever update D.Barn? or just S.Hill and Park), but praise to him for speedy service. The four times I've had to call it's been the same guy, who had me done in under 2 mins.

Can only live and hope that this doesn't keep occuring...

john

Advertisement