Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tatoo to cover acne scars?

• 24-11-2003 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Ok can you please help me as i'm kinda going through a rough patch at the moment.

Backround bit - I had terrible acne for years and went on roaccutane about 2 years ago or more. After 8 months i was cured but left with some deep marks on my face and back (not really bad though) but with terrible scarring on my chest. I went to laser treatment for these and the doctor assured me that they would be 90% gone by the time he was finished. That was about a year ago and they are still bad and that doctor has over E1000 of my money - not going back again. I got them injected by a derm and they are not raised anymore but still very red.

Now i do a lot of sport and have a good body (i think) apart from these but i havnt gone swimming in about 5 years now due to these even though i was nearly qualified as a lifeguard at a young age. Even taking a shower in public changing rooms i hide in the corner if i can. I always wear a tshirt under my shirt so my chest will never be exposed

basically i have tried everything on these and nothing works, i am sick of them and having to hide away.

Just last night i thought about getting a tatoo to cover them. I would never have thought seriously to get one before . I think one on your bicep would be cool alright though but one on your chest is a big step. I mean they are forever and expensive too and i wouldnt want a crap one . on the otherhand they are the lesser by a long shot of two evils. Instead of having to hide my chest i could show it off to a degree. I have big chest muscles and can flex them (ya ya i know but let me have something will ye) but cant show them to anyone. anytime im with a girl my shirt never comes off, she'll think im a freak. Even though a lot of girls only look at me for my muscles

Can anyone advise me here? Will a tatoo cover them or will it just highlight them. Is it a bad idea?? How much would it cost (it would have to be about 6" square on the middle of the chest and for design maybe onto my bicep and back)?? Is it very sore on the chest? What kind of tatoos can be done on the chest

Please help

Thanks for listening

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tattoo's on the chest are particularly sore for guys, basically bony areas will hurt a lot, anywhere fatty like your back or biceps will hurt less.
    Tattooing over acne scars isn't going to make the pits go away but they'll certainly be less noticable :) You'd really need to talk it over with a tattooist, as the tattoo mightn't come out right because it's harder for ink to 'take' in scar tissue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I love tattoos and piercings, but I'm going to offer you some advice.

I know what it's like to dislike your body. It's an issue I have struggled with most of my life. And the fact that you won't take your shirt off for a girl tells me that your image of how bad the scarring looks has become severely distorted in your mind. I assure you that no matter how bad it was, if a girl really likes you, she will NOT be bothered by it. In fact, she may even quite like it. Some people's partners get very fond of scars, strawberry birthmarks etc., grotesque as they seem to the bearer.

You might be surprised to hear this but what I think is that you should actually see a counsellor for a wee while. This skin damage has obviously affected your self-esteem quite badly.

If you get a chest tattoo for this reason, you may badly regret it in a few years time.

I suggest that you work on feeling better about your body, warts and all, before deciding on the tattoo.

I hope you take this on board and start appreciating yourself soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭uum

Thanks for your replies.

And i think it wouldnt hurt to talk to a tattooist about it so does anyone know of a good one in the limerick/ennis/tipp area??

neuro-praxis thanks for your reply and it does make a lot of sense. I was severely depressed approx 12 months ago and always wore a hood and never made eye contact with people but im over that now and actually feeling kinda self confident ( not sure tho because i've never felt it before). I mean its not like im a recluse or anything. I have loads of friends and am always going out. I very bad at pulling birds but i honestly believe that that has more to do with me always getting tongue tied than anything else.

But my chest is bad, it doesnt look so bad up close but from a distance it's just a mess. And i do believe that a tattoo would be cool aswell as hiding the scarring.

The honest truth is that i'd have no problem getting a tattoo on my arm, in fact id get one this second if i had a good design.
    My only problem is a chest tattoo is going to be big, noticeable, expensive and with me for the rest of my life.

From talking to others on different internet forums ive been told traditional japanese breast plates worked in to sleeves are good. Biomech is also a good option for the chest. Any1 got any info on these types of tattoo's or where i can go to see pics of them??

Thanks again to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

AWOL tattoo in Ennis is fantastic, run by a friend of mine, Angus. I forget the street name but it's above a shop called 'Bizarre Bazaar'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭uum

Thanks for all your help and ive found a good tatto artist locally and he has reassured me a lot.

I think i've decided on a design too so maybe in the new year...

Thanks and happy Xmas

• Advertisement
Advertisement