Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reinstalling XP

• 24-11-2003 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

the pc at home seems to have gotten a bit slower so I'd like to reinstall from scratch. If I install XP on my second hard drive (d) does anyone know how you would then safely get rid of the XP install on c:?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

If you install on D:\, then you can just format C:\, however I think you should just format C:\ and then install there, To avoid problems such as mult-OS boot screens etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

In case you are thinking about re-installing XP over a previous installation here is a minor warning:

If your XP disk is an original non SP1 version (probable if it is more than 1 year old)and if it has since been upgraded to SP1 (probable if you allow automatic updates) then installing the old version over the SP1 version will give you a sytem that appears to work perfectly until you try to connect to the internet.

This happened me and I found it particularly frustrating becasue I couldn't even log onto the Net to look up a possible solution. Eventually I googled on a borrowed PC and discovered the answer. The best solution is to apply the SP1 patch from a CD but if you don't have it then there is a registry hack that allows you to go online and then you can get SP1 from Microsoft.

Advertisement