Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to buy?

Options
  • 25-11-2003 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Am after a second hand car (2001 - 2003) , want to step up from my Fiesta, but not sure what to go for - have about €16000 (could to spend, was looking at a 03 Mg ZR, 02 Seat Leon, 02 Ford Focus, Dont really know what to go for.

Has to be a 1.4 cos of insurance costs and dont want anything smaller cos the fiesta was a 1.3, dont want to be goin to a smaller size engine.

Would love to get a Golf but dont think my budget will stretch to a decent one, insurance and all,

So any ideas?
    What would be the best car to go for at around €16000?

Thanks in advance

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Re: What car to buy?

One with four wheels!, sorry, its just the mad mood I'm in.

P.:ninja: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Re: What car to buy?

One with four wheels!, sorry, its just the mad mood I'm in.

P.:ninja: ;)

only 4? what about the spare? you wouldnt be laughing if ya got a puncture with no spare! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

look up the 'citroen c2' maxpower thinks its the business, and i think its a class car. the prices range from 11000 - 16500 euros new and they 'mod' it as standard with the VTR. One draw back... its triptronic

still a nice car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

If by chance you wanted to stick with the Fiesta, my sister-in-law is after winning a new one in some raffle, but her and my brother would rather the cash, so they're trying to sell it, at a nice discount. It's brand new, not even regged, sitting on the dealers forecourt. PM me for more.

No thanks Borzoi, think the new fiesta is rotten.
    dont really like the c2 either,

Anybody have any idea what a Mg ZR is like, i like the car but dont too keen on it's links with rover!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

mate of mine bought an 02 Ford Puma for €16000.
    Nippy little thing, if a bit girly looking.

yeh, not really what i'm looking for though,

still havent a clue what to go for!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Right..
    /waits to be flamed
    Have you thought about a Honda Jazz?
    You could probably swing a new one for €16000 - we just bought one - cost us €16200..
    Not exactly the "coolest" car - but 83bhp and we get 45+mpg - even with my lead right foot :o
    I can fit 5 6foot+ adults in complete comfort for long journeys - a ridiculously clever car to be honest - let down by one thing - it's image and looks..
    it also understeers abit on the standard yoko's, but the lift off oversteer is fun lol..
    Test drive one..
    A place on the southside - think its ranelagh - not sure - can find out if u want - has a red one with a bodykit and alloys - very very nice car - wish we'd shelled out the extra €800 to get this one to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Tbh, I wouldn't touch a golf with a 10ft barge pole. There're so common. They haven't changed in ages. Can anybody tell the difference between the new golf and the old? There're so dull...........I can't even be bothered to think of a way to finish that sentence.

If it was me, I'd go for a Civic, a Corolla, or wait until next year for the Mazda 3. It'll be the first car based on the new focus platform, and will probably be better than the new focus (if the new focus ever arrives).

Course what I'd really like is the new Focus Cosworth........

[edit]Honda Jazz would be good too, but not my cup of tea[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MG ZR is a nice car, but bits fall off and it's doesn't always work. And it's based on the 1991 Civic platform...

Try: Civic, Corolla, Almera (ok the last is 1.5, but cheap enough to insure)
    In fact, new shape Civic 1.4 would prob suit you down to the ground. Pretty refined (well for a Civic anyway) and has that Honda reliabilty thing: keep it serviced any you'll have zero problems. Ever. (Actually, you could say the same for the Corolla too)

Jazz is a good car, but not to a lot of people's tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

Toyota Corolla.....I've had one for a few years and have never had any probs....these cars can be run into the ground & still work perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Thing about the Corolla is that the newer model only came out in late 2002 afaik (confirm anyone?) so there aren't many 2nd hand ones about. At least there weren't when I was looking around March.
    Ended up getting a Civic which I'm very happy with (it's my 3rd) They just keep on going no matter what.
    Note that the 3 door is made in the UK but the 5 door is made in Japan.
    I'm don't know of any reliability differences between the two but I was happier knowing my car was built in Japan!

Almera? Boring as hell in my opinion and not a good looker.
    And I wouldn't touch a Rover with a barge pole (unless I was actually pushing it into the canal)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I wouldn't go near the MG ZR, depreciation is a joke and insurance is ridiculous for such a crap car. And as someone said, it's an old Rover 200 on a 12 year old platform.

might look for a new version civic 3dr, looks nice with a type r bodykit, either that or a seat leon with a cupra r bodykit (will put the kit on myself) , new corolla is lovely but cant find one within my price range, have to admit it on the golf, i like the car but there are loads around and they are over priced.

Am a bit dodgy on the MG ZR but it does have 105bhp, 0 - 60 in 10seconds and top speed of 110 and got a cheap enough insurance quote for it.

Civic 1.4 - 89bhp, 0 - 69 in 11.9seconds, top speed - 110

Leon 1.4 - 75bhp, 0 - 60 in 14.6seconds, top speed - 105

confusing stuff, if i buy the wrong car am stuck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Older model (ie 96-00) Civic hatchback should be within your price range. 1.4 is geared differently to the new model and as a result is a bit peppier. 90bhp and 0-60 is about 10.9 afaik (parker's website is wrong btw).

Get one that hasn't been trashed/crashed and it'll go for ever.

PS. I'd avoid any 1.4 car based on the Golf platform. The engine is under-powered, and they all have heavy bodies.

yeh like the older civics but want to get a newer car instead of an older one, (currently have a 01) me cousin is gettin a new car too and kinda want to get something better than him :D

he got quoted €1500 for any 2litre turbo car though, so i'm losing lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

if you are looking for a corolla hb 03 might know one 4 sale in your budget
    pm if you want more info

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

Lads, you know nothing about cars if you think the ZR is based on any Honda. It was an all-new design launched in 1996. (The ZS is based on the Civic 5 door, not anything from 1992)

Best car for that money?

Try FOCUS or SEAT LEON, the best you can get and don't be hung up on the reg plate. It's irrelevant to anyone who knows anything about cars.

You could get a very well specced Citroen XSARA for that money, one with the depreciation already taken out.

Yeh was looking at a few xsara's, nice cars, especially the vtr versions, its either gonna be one of them or a Leon, Focus i s a bit underpowered, the Fiesta even has a faster 0 - 60 than the 1.4 version :rolleyes:

Advertisement