Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network

• 25-11-2003 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi all

I just got a cheapy computer from work, just an old dell pentium2. Basically I just want to set it up with my other machine to share printer, internet etc. I have my NIC cards hooked up with a crossover cable and everything seems fine on my own machine.

The problem is the work machine seems to need a LAN to startup. It says

Intel LANDesk service agent for 3C90X version 0.98i

DHCP MAC ADDR: 00 C0 4F 9C 56 3B
    BOOTP........
    Then says :

PXE-E52: No IP address received from DHCP or BOOTP.

I can't get into the operating system, tried a bootdisk, I've no idea how to set the IP address without even a Dos prompt.

I don't know what the hell I can do.

Any ideas folks?

For your info I'm running Win98se on my own computer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'm sure there's a way to do it, but personally, I'd just cop out and reformat the work machine with a new OS. Unless of course it contains files you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

I was thinking the same but I'd prefer to see if there's another way. I'll probably end up doing this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It seems to be looking for a machine to boot off of.
    Enter the BIOS and disabled "Boot From LAN"
    See if that helps any bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Go into the bios. If you can't get in or change anything, theres a jumper on the front of the motherboard labelled "BIOS PW" ( if its an optiplex gx1 ) or something similar, remove it. In the bios, change the onboard lan setting to "PXE disabled", and/or change the boot order so the hard drive is before lan.

Advertisement