Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADLS Bray Southern Cross Rd Anyone ???

• 25-11-2003 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

not sure if this the correct forum so feel free to move and correct me just wondering is there anyalong the southern cross rd in bray getting adsl from eircom or esat
    I have had terrible problems with eirom as have been discussed here on the forum
    and I was wondering what do people on the Southern cross rd do for affordable BB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to broadband forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

What do you mean? You're having terrible trouble with your broadband connection on the Southern Cross? Or you're having terrible trouble trying to get broadband on the Southern Cross?

If its having trouble getting Broadband.
    I'm in Charnwood beside Tesco's. I always failed the online prequal test with my ISDN line and the one time I got a real test done by someone on the Eircom Support Chat site, I failed that too. He couldn't tell me if it was Line Quaility, Distance from Exchange or my ISDN etc etc. Useless shower! :D I had given up. Then I heard that Eircom had removed the requirement for a/c no. on the prequal test. I was then able to enter all my neighbours numbers and check their lines. They all passed including my two neighbours on either side of my. That ruled out distance from exchange, line quality etc and now I know my problem is between the Eircom manhole junction box at the end of my drive and/or my ISDN/internal Wiring/Fax & Dect. I may have to get a new line but I know that it will 99% probably pass for BB.

So in your case because your estate is new its probably not line quality. If your neighbours all fail its probably distance from exchange. If some pass then its more than likely your internal wiring ie long extensions, Dect phones etc.

In other words you'll be able to narrow down your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

thanks for the reply the prob is the my line test is failing but I do not know why (eircom will not tell me )
    and I was trying ascertain if anybody else on the Southern Cross had broadband adsl so I could rule out the distance from the exchange (which I believe is on Quinsboro Rd somewhere or close by )
    when you sat internal wiring do you mean having my modem attached and another phone on the line (should I disconnect these ? ) and ask for a new line test ?

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Go to www.adsl.ie and click the "can you get BB" link (has a picture of a question mark) A popup window appears where you can enter your phone number. This gives you your latest test result from Eircoms test result database. Now before you used to have to enter your account number as well as your phone number and thus seeing as you only know your own account number, you could only check your own line. Recently though they have removed the requirement to enter A/c number so now you can enter any phone number and find out the result for that line.

So if you know your neighbours names you can look up their phone numbers in the phone book and then enter the numbers into the online checker. If you don't know any of their names and you'd feel embarressed asking them so you can check their lines for adsl :D then its a case of going through the phonebook and when you come across people from your estate, noting down the phone number. When you have a few numbers collected, then go to the online checker and check them out.

If every single one of them fail then chances are you are too far from the exchange. If a few pass then you know its not distance or line quality and the problem my lay closer to home. ie if you have wireless phones and faxes etc they might be the cause. The problem with this is that Eircom almost always refuse to do a live test for you. They just consult their result database whose tests are only run once a month. If they did tests on demand you could disconnect all extensions ,wireless phones etc and just leave a bog standard phone connected, ring them up, and get a test and then you would know straight away whether thats what your problem was. Unfortunately they refuse to do live tests so you'd have to leave all that stuff disconnected for a whole month to ensure that its not connected the next time they run the automated line tests. For some people thats not too much hassle ie just having a bog standard phone connected for a month. For other people it would be very inconvienient not having their dect phones or faxes or answering machines etc connected for a whole month.

Another reason might be that You may have a splitter on your line. What dial up speeds do you get. If your modem connection never goes over 28.8k (28000bps) then you may have a splitter. This means that instead of installing a full line for you, Eircom may have split your neighbours line to give you one or visa versa.

Anyway, let me know how you get on with your neighbours numbers in the online checker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

thanks again for ur help am now embarking on new neighbours no's strategy

• Advertisement
Advertisement