Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS facility on fixed line telephones

• 25-11-2003 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Does anyone have any experience of DECT phones with SMS facility? Figuring that the Eircom 4012 had to be way overpriced at €199, I started googling around looking for alternative models (also 'cos the Eircon thingy is a Siemens & I've heard their batteries are dire...?)

Came up with the Philips Vox 300 DECT with Answerphone (as a twin pack, which I'd want) available up North for about £139 from Argos, but lots of them also knocking around on Ebay for about the £65 mark. But then I came across a customer review on amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008PS68/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2/202-8258712-6691012) where the guy said:
    "If you thing [sic] it would be cool to be able to send and receive texts as simply as you do from your mobile, think again, a series of SMS boxes are contained on the phone, why I not sure, you are required to subscribe to Bizzyline, who are they? ( Not much information about these people available ) no details of costs for sending SMS coupled with a complex method of sending and receiving makes it all seam a waste of time, I've tried to send texts to my own mobile and they have so far failed.
    Overall a great phone with some excellent features but if its the SMS feature that drives you, you may be dissapointed. "

So - has anyone else used one of these things? I thought it'd be nice to be able to text my kids ("cum home NOW!", etc. :)) — but it sounds like it could be a bit of a pain in the a*se...

Thanks for any advice you can offer,
    peckerhead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

You'd seriously text your kids to "cum home now"? Shouldn't you be encouraging them to use proper english?? ;)

Goddamn all this txt spk gets very annoying.

Oh and on topic, we have one of those phones at home, an eircom one, and it sends text messages without having to subscribe to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

More like "cm hm nw r ill b dug outta yez..." ;)
    peckerhead
    (you should hear what my kids call me...)

Advertisement