Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop specs

• 25-11-2003 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I need to invest in a laptop and I have decided to go for a DELL. I have been borrowing my dads for the last while but its a dead weight so I would prefer a lighter model however the lighter ones seem of a lower spec.
    I am going to be running a lot of multimedia apps on it like Photoshop and 3dmax so it needs to be fast. Most of the graphics apps are optimised for Pentium 4 chips.
    How does the new Centrino chip compare to the P4 ones. It states a lower speed but a higher cache. And would the optimisation of the apps hold true for the Centrino?

Basically I need a beast of a multimedia machine in a light package. Any advice is really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm not too well up on particular laptop models, but I think the centrino ( or more correctly, the pentium m ) is the right choice for the chip. You should go for a 1.6ghz or 1.7ghz pentium m, this will be about the equivalent of a 2.66ghz p4. Basically the pentium m does significantly more work for each clock cycle, its an improvement of the p3 design.
    Optimizations for the p4 will not hold true for the pentium-m, they are very different architecturally, having said that the pentium m does support the same sse2 instruction set as the p4, and does not need such specialized optimisation to get good performance. Ultimately its not going to be as fast as a p4 3.2ghz machine, but it will last a lot longer under heavy usage.
    On applications which are not p4 optimized, the pentium m will be faster.
    Take a look at the IBM T40, afaik it comes with an optional long life battery which would let you get a few hours work done on the move, and IBM make damn good laptops. But there are probably better machines out at this stage.

Advertisement