Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Laws in Ireland

Options
  • 25-11-2003 12:34pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

What are your views on the planning laws in Ireland? Are they working? Are they draconian? Do they prevent inward investment. What do you think of the proposed theme parks rejection?

What do you think of Irish Planning Laws? 12 votes

Excellent. Keep up the good work
    0% 0 votes
    Nothing wrong with them
    0% 0 votes
    Rediculous and inconsistant
    8% 1 vote
    You mean, there are actual laws in place!!
    58% 7 votes
    Sure who needs infrastructure!
    33% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Their great for whomever has the cash to pay to influence them.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

taking away the fact that corruption is a given, let's pretend that there is no corruption. What would you change about the planning laws?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I don't know about theme parks but on a smaller scale like housing and shops I've found the whole process from Fingal to An Bord Pleanala to be very fair. I've had several dealing with both and I've found they do listen to reason and they know when someone is being unreasonable in their objections or applications. If you go through Fingals site and look at objections and their decisions and the appeals decisions of An bord Pleanala you'll see they really do want to give out planning and they will not refuse you unless you are being totally unreasonable.

Here in my village a well known developer wanted to rezone the last remaining open space by the sea and build 50 something appartements which would have ruined the area and created even more traffic which is already a problem here. We thought this developer would have had some influence but it was still denied.

Their bloody web site sucks though, I've told them, always about 3 weeks out of date which isn't very helpful.

what about Ireland in general. It seems that Dublin is relatively ok when it comes to planning but what about other areas of Ireland? Rural areas especially?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

There seems to be no planning in Ireland at all.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've heard that Westmeath County Council are refusing planning permission for brick or stone finishes on buildings. Can anyone verify that this is the case?

If so, it leads to ridiculous situations like the Newbury Hotel in Mullingar not being allowed to match their extension to the rest of the (beautiful limestone) building, while monstrosities like McDonald's are given carte blanche in the middle of the town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Gearoid

Its all a mess quite frankly, the stuff thats allowed up! like i know in one rural area thert're throwing up housing estates and serviced sites with big footpaths and lamp posts that looked like they were nicked off the M50! - totally out of charcter with the place originaly and destroying its charcter soon it'll no longer be town or country just housing estates except they're not surronding any town-the nearest one is 6 miles away! anyone have experience of this?

Originally posted by Gearoid
    Its all a mess quite frankly, the stuff thats allowed up! like i know in one rural area thert're throwing up housing estates and serviced sites with big footpaths and lamp posts that looked like they were nicked off the M50! - totally out of charcter with the place originaly and destroying its charcter soon it'll no longer be town or country just housing estates except they're not surronding any town-the nearest one is 6 miles away! anyone have experience of this?

Yes, Kentstown in Co. Meath. Very small village with practically no amenities but they've built a big housing estate in the middle of it which is totally out of place. And they've also given permission for a dump just down the road from it too. Very clever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Lucan and its endless suburban sprawl with not enough public transport, school places(two schools have been built in lucan in the past 20 years and both are minority schools catering for irish speakers etc.) while names of children have to be put down before they are born to get places in the primary schools. Not to mention St Anne's/St. Thomas was listed as one of the most run down schools in the country.

Adamstown and its single country lane to handle the population of drogheda commuting into the city centre.

Lawlor.

Planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The planning system is actually relatively transparent. You all get to have a say in rezonings and planning permission for invididual developments. Instead of doing some uninformed whinging, do something real - make representations on development plans, object to planning permissioons you disagree with, lobby your councillors (they are up for re-election next May).

Don't get angry, get elected.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    object to planning permissioons you disagree with

25,000 objections to the Incinerator in Duleek. Still got permission. Thousands against the dump in Kentstown. Still got permission. Objections only work when it suits the planners.

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Objections only work when it suits the planners.
    And the planners must fulfill the Development Plan voted on by councillors who are elected by you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Gearoid

I think the real problem is not the system as such but the architectural style. Its a given now that all housing whether in dublin or out the country, if not one of houses or apartments is housing eststes, its like America since WW2 every1 has to have a house in the town AND a big garden AND space infront to park their car. Now while I don't have anything against green spaces or peoples privacy the fact is that if we all have a house like this then the whole country will end up a big housing estate. We need to lay down what type of buildings are suitable for what areas and what are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I think you mean the Planning system as if they were laws they wouldn't be able to be interpeted in so many ways.

I live in a fairly small town in the Carlow area, now if you want permission for one off housing your going to find it very very tough.

My parents got planning permission about a year ago now but after our councillor went in and had a little word with the head planner.

I worked in the local Council for 3 months and I can tell you the planning system is a fecking joke, it's all about who you are. If you have a business of any description that employees people you will get permission no bother, because you have something to offer to the community. Also all the planners that were working there when I was there have all left bar one, they were fecked up with the procedures and having followed procedure having some business man comming in and getting a meeting with the chief planner who will then somehow change his mind!!!.

On the other hand if you've lived in an area all your life and the only thing you can offer is the tax you pay after working hard every day your going to find it hard, even if your parents own the land!!.

Now move into the town center and you can build anything you like, in my local town theres one street that has had planning permission given for a range of things. Theres one set of 3 storey apartments nearing completion. Now the council have sold one of the local car parks to developers so they can build more 3 storey apartments on the same street, now once completed a car park will be included.

The fact of the matter is these apartments look completely out of character for the town.

So to sum it up if you have the money or the business presence you can get permission for just about anything anywhere.

It's all a joke one big joke.

And Victor your right the development plan was chosen by the councillors but with a nod and a wink in the right direction it can be overseen.

And the planners must fulfill the Development Plan voted on by councillors who are elected by you.

Victor! Have you ever had anything bad to say about the Government? I've noticed a pattern to your replies in that no matter what anyone says to criticise the government you always back them up and make excuses for their decisions. Are you related to Bertie or are you just blind to the fact that we are getting screwed left right and centre by him and his muppets?

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Victor! Have you ever had anything bad to say about the Government?
    Hang on, I'm the one who started the "Assassination as a political means" thread. I am quite anti-FF, however the local council workers aren't the embodiment of FF. You are confusing politicians with civil servants.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me a bad (i.e. FF) person.

Hang on, I'm the one who started the "Assassination as a political means" thread. I am quite anti-FF, however the local council workers aren't the embodiment of FF. You are confusing politicians with civil servants.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me a bad (i.e. FF) person.

I never said you were a bad person. I'm just pointing out that nearly everytime you are involved in a government bashing thread you are always disagreeing with negative arguements about the government and making excuses for them. Local councils are sometimes worse than dealing with the government 'cause some council workers seem to be on a power trip and try to make things as difficult as possible for you. I've had dealings with some and if I never had to again I would be a lot happier. I'm not saying they all are (I've an Uncle who works for the council) but they really don't make things easy.

Advertisement