Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Studio .NET 2003 Problem

Options
  • 25-11-2003 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Hey there. I bought a laptop on saturday, it has good enough specs, 2.6ghz, 30 gig hdd, dvd rw, 64mb gfx card, and so on... I installed VS.NET2003 on it last night (also have this installed on an old pc from same cds) but whenever i try to run a progject (the blue triangle button just under Debug on the toolbar) nothing happens, it builds fine, the hourclock comes up and nothing. I thought it may have been my code so i just created a new c# project and tried to run that (it should have displayed a blank form) and the same thing happend.

This doesn't just happen with c#, it also happens with vb.net, j# and so on.

I uninstalled vs.net 2003 and reinstalled it again and the same thing keeps happening. Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can fix this WITHOUT formatting. Project deadlines are due and i don't have time to be formatting this week.
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

What version of windows is on the machine, im assuming XP if its new. How about reinstalling XP or running a repair. put in the XP disc and restart the pc it should come up with an option to repair installation.

Or else install xp again into a different directory.

Also this should probably be in the windows forum as it seems like more of a windows issue rather than a programming issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Having used Visual Studio .NET extensively, and with many other problems, I can safely say I have no idea what's wrong. I know they've removed some of the compile buttons from the standard toolbar, but you can get them back by right-clicking anywhere on the toolbar, and hitting "Customize". Then simply drag and drop the buttons onto the toolbar.

Once you've got that done, try using the standard compile, build, execute buttons, and see if the same problem occurs.

I know when I installed, it wouldn't let me put VS.NET anywhere except on my Windows partition. You didn't manage to put it on another partition by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

nah tis on my windows partition alright, it's not just the button, f5 doesn't work either. however ctrl+f5 does work, run without the debugger, but i don't feel like putting a shi t load of printf's everywhere if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

What happens when you start the program with F11 then hit F5 when it gets to the Application.Run(new FormWhatever()) stuff? I sometimes get the problem you are talking about but doing that, or running a couple times normally fixes it.

f11 causes it to crash too, weird thing is it will start without debugging mode ctrl + f5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

That debugger comment reminded me of something...

VS 2003 (dunno about the earlier versions) creates two local Windows security Groups : Debugger Users and VS Developers.

From memory, you need to ensure that the logged-on user is in those groups. I vaguely recall having similar problems at some point. If you go to develop web applications, you also need to add the account that IIS is configured to use.

Oh - and on another install, I did have to do a "repair" of VS 2003 immediately post-installation as well, cause of some stupidity.

Overall, I must say that VS.Net has shattered my faith in MS development products. Its buggy as hell, and a lot less useable in many ways than (say) VB5 or VB6. And I dunno what it is with MS, but every set of help since VB5 seems to be a step backwards....both in terms of the help "application" itself, and the way they have structured the information.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Heres a link to a .doc file that discusses many debugger issues, maybe one of them will help you out.
    http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/whitepapers/howtosolvedebuggerproblems.doc

I agree with bonkey on the help file stuff after VB5 but have to say that I actually like VS.Net a lot. Takes a bloody while to get used to having to recompile the code after you change anything tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Spunj
    I actually like VS.Net a lot.

I'd love it if it wasn't so buggy and stable....same as the entire .Net framework to be honest.

At the moment, not a day goes by where I don't run into a new and completely stupid bug in either Visual Studio, or in the CLR itself, and I'm not trying to do any rocket science with the stuff.

jc

Well done lads! That solved it, IIS Admin was running.... so when i stopped it, it worked fine. Cheers though, it was getting annoying hitting ctrl + f5 all the time, now i just have to get my act together and meet this deadline - i went one step forward and eight steps back on that one last night, designed all my prototypes but realised they won't fit on the pocketpc screen, so now i have to redo them and change the whole flow. Yay me i have a fun weekend lined up. *sigh*

Advertisement