Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who are these idiots ???

Options
  • 25-11-2003 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

What about all of those clowns who sit at 35-40mph on single carriage ways and then got up to 80 on the dual carriage ways, and do everything in their power to get ahead of you before the end of the dual carriageway in order to do 35mph and slap on the brakes everytime there is an oncomming vehicle or curve in the road.

Is this a geriatric full licence for a present Dublin thing ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The same type of idiots who sit behind them letting themselves get annoyed rather than overtaking them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

How about the people who DRIVE at slower than 70 mph in the overtaking lane on the motorways, but aren't overtaking anybody :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    How about the people who DRIVE at slower than 70 mph in the overtaking lane on the motorways, but aren't overtaking anybody :mad: :mad:
    Screw that.

How about the people who DRIVE at any speed in the overtaking lane on the motorways, but aren't overtaking anybody

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

or muppets that speed up when you try to overtake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Er,

:o Are these people sad old would be politico types with 9 year old diesel hatchbacks ? :o

We need to draw a Line in The Sand on this one :D

An T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

how about the people who drive at 50 on 60 mile limits and still go 50 through 40 and 30 mile zones? really annoys me, why cant they go 60 and slow down to 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by draffodx
    how about the people who drive at 50 on 60 mile limits and still go 50 through 40 and 30 mile zones? really annoys me, why cant they go 60 and slow down to 40?
    Maybe they are innumerate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

maybe they should go back to school then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by LFCFan
    or muppets that speed up when you try to overtake
    yeah that really pisses me off as well as its dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Why do people never pull in and make it easier for you to overtake. This happens to rarely these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

thats because they own the road of course !
    or maybe they cannot see you because the rear view mirror is angled for makeup and sprog coooing !
    Or it could even be the watch out I am a careless driver "Baby on Boad" sign taking up the back window !

How about the clown who think that the braking distance you leave between yourself and the car in front is reserved for their use, and dive in slamming on the brakes. This would of course be your fault in a collision as you would have hit the back of them !

Or the really special people who drive up the backside of the car in front with no intention of overtaking but effectively blocking everybody else from passing !

Originally posted by fenris
    How about the clown who think that the braking distance you leave between yourself and the car in front is reserved for their use, and dive in slamming on the brakes. This would of course be your fault in a collision as you would have hit the back of them !

Or the really special people who drive up the backside of the car in front with no intention of overtaking but effectively blocking everybody else from passing !

You can't have it both ways....

Two different scenarios

1. waiting for an overtaking opportunity - close but with a safe reaction distance 2 second rule ?

2. No intention of overtaking - back off and do not impede other road users from overtaking, you do not know their circumstances or capabilities.

A little bit of cop on is all that is needed to distinguish both scenarios.

Two different scenarios

1. waiting for an overtaking opportunity - close but with a safe reaction distance 2 second rule ?

2. No intention of overtaking - back off and do not impede other road users from overtaking, you do not know their circumstances or capabilities.

Unfortunatly, it only takes a minority on the roads to not use kop on that ruins it for the rest of us.

Two different scenarios

Sorry if you are waiting to overtake and someone else overtakes you, theres a problem with your overtaking technique. Their opportunity was your opportunity and if you didn't take it then you are inpeding other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Sorry if you are waiting to overtake and someone else overtakes you, theres a problem with your overtaking technique. Their opportunity was your opportunity and if you didn't take it then you are inpeding other road users.

Overtaking opportunities vary greatly depending on which car you're driving. An overtaking opportunity in a 2L Mondeo may not be quite as feasable in a 1L Yaris.

People who don't consider the other drivers on the road shouldn't be on the road.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith

This isn't always the case though. There have been a couple of time when I was just about to overtake (ie. I was waiting for the broken white line or we were coming out of a bend) but some idiot has decided to overtake before it's totally safe to do so. These kind of manouvers are extremely dangerous. I've seen cars overtake 10 or more cars at a time and they have the cheek to flash cars coming towards them as if the cars in the correct lane shouldn't be there. One of the times I saw this it was an estate car with the whole family. Obviously the man who pulled off this manouver is a complete gobsh1te who has no regard for either his families life or these on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Spot On.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith Sorry if you are waiting to overtake and someone else overtakes you, theres a problem with your overtaking technique. Their opportunity was your opportunity and if you didn't take it then you are inpeding other road users.

To add to the points made by the other poster regarding the above drivel.

Have you ever heard of a vanishing point ?
    Thats the point where both road verges appear to merge. Due to some conspiracy by the dark forces of physics and geometry the car in front's vanishing point is further ahead than the vanishing point of the car behind. This means that the front car has more relevant information to feed into their driving/riding plan (you do make them don't you ?).

So when you are cursing the car in front, weaving about, "going for it" having to dive back into the left lane in the nick of time, giving the car that you have almost ran off the road the finger for having the temerity flashing at you mr ubberdriver, bear in mind that driving a car in the real world in not supposed to give you a GTA buzz, 'cos in the real world you only get one chance as do the other people on the road.

Check out the following links, who knows it may even be your own life you save !

Car Roadcraft

Motorcycle Roadcraft

Well if your that close to the car in front that theres only barely a cars length between you, then you are too close to overtake. The optimum position is a few car lengths back so that you have a better view of the road ahead. You encounter many drivers who take an age to overtake, you'd nearly get out and help them past in the time it takes them to do it.

Obviously someone who overtakes in a obviously dangerous way is an idiot.

fenris - that doesn't always apply, closer you are to an object the less you can see of the straight ahead unless the car ahead is invisible which is not something I've seen. If its a van or a truck you'll see even less. So they guy behind can actually see more than you can. Which is why th ideal overtaking position is a fe lengths back.

Besides are their any roads in Ireland that are straight enough that the verges converge in the distance? Theres none on my 2hr commute.

fenris - "drivel" thanks. "Driving though science" any chance of an explanation of "perspective" ala Father Ted while you at it?

• Advertisement

lol small - far away !

That is exactly my point, barely a cars length is too close, but that is what you are reduced to if some hero decide to pop in there, there is a section of the driving public that regards any space longer than 2.5m as an invitation.

Roadcraft and the police motorcycle system emphasis road positioning for safety and visibility. You do not sacrifice your safety for visibility.

The vanishing point is visible on every corner and curve of our roads, it is where the road vanishes. It is a useful tool in determining whether your speed and line are appropriate for a corner, e.g. if the vanishing point appears to be closing in on you then the corner is tightening possibly a decreasing radius corner, if it apears to stay the same distance away then you have it about right. if you cannot stop in the distance that you can see then you are probably moving to fast for the road (herd of cows, broken down car, accident stray pibald, car breaking due to Garda chechpoint etc any of a multitude of things to be found just out of sight on Irish roads). General rules but if you draw it you will see what I mean.

Your plan means that you do not have to come up with your options in the middle of a crisis, just pick the best one !

All information you gather feeds into your plan, leading to a very smooth drive in a car and a zen like experience on a bike !

That rule doesn't give you any options if some nutter comes around the corner on a bike or car at 80+. If that happens your plan goes out the window. Your closure rate is doubled at minimum.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How about the people who choose lanes in the roundabout by number of cars rather than where they are going? :mad:

:DHmmm...That lane is nice and empty, i'm in a big hurry / dropping the kids to
    School / driving a better car than them, i'll just use it...

Every damn morning!

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

We need signs on the roads reiterating to people that;

An overtaking lane is used only for overtaking!
    If you are not overtaking, get out!

If you dont need to use your spotlights, dont use them!
    You are blinding people for no reason!

D'ont drive around with just your parking lights on and your spots on.
    You look like a muppet and are again blinding people.

Originally posted by Ba$tard
    An overtaking lane is used only for overtaking!
    If you are not overtaking, get out!

Tell this to the Council. On the way out from Kildare where the roadworks are there was a load of signs telling people not to use the 'Fast' lane. Not the overtaking lane. If they can't get it right what hope have we.

That rule doesn't give you any options if some nutter comes around the corner on a bike or car at 80+. If that happens your plan goes out the window. Your closure rate is doubled at minimum.

ROFL Honest folks I am not paying him to prove my points and we are two different people !

That is a general rule not the entirety of your driving plan.

That is why you need training and a plan, not a single magic rule, general rules model general situations, they are not substitutes for thinking for yourself, they are tools to help not rails to run on !

Your plan does not go out the window, you execute the part of your plan that deals with an oncomming hazard. Brake ?
    go left ?
    go right ?
    speed up and go for the gap ?
    brace for impact ?
    spin car to change from head on to side on ?
    do I have a passenger that need protecting ?
    go through ditch ?
    how to minimise secondary impact from car that is too close behind ?
    What does hapen if you brake mid-corner anyway, is your vehicle easier or harder to steer ?
    if your car detects an emergency stop what does it do, nothing, brake assist, kill engine and turn on hazards?

A lot to figure out in less than 2 seconds - work it out before hand !

Training is about increasing your skills and thus survivability in a marginal situation; it also helps you to recognise potential marginal situations and act acordingly.

So who is the greater doctor - the one that makes sure you never get sick or the one that pulls you back from the brink of death ?

The driver that almost but didn't kill you or the one who never put you at risk ?

oh dear that guy on the wrong side of the road coming at 100mph+ looks a bit dangerous, umm let me consult my driving plan, ummm no nothing obvious there how about we do a bit of quick math and work out the speed of that car minus the speed taken to ...CCCCRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

:D

ROFLMAO

Never under estimate the power of Darwin in action (not the city)

What can I say I tried !

You can bring a horse to water .......
    None so blind as .......

#include <cliche.h>

If you really want to hurt your brain try asking about countersteering on a bike forum :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

1. People that drive slow on a motorway, slow, as in 50mph. Why?

2. Cars with horseboxes with no lights. Also, with handpainted reg plates, or none at all.

3. Cars that have fog-lights on all the fubbin' time. Especially micras!

4. Bus drivers who all-of-a sudden, pull out of a bus lane or from a bus-stop.

5. Gardai who drive mondeo's at high speeds. These people have no advanced driving skills.

6. Tractors, JCB's or any slow maintanance vehicals who drive at 8am rush-hour, causing 10 car tailbacks.

7. Regarding point 6, the idiot who sits behind the slow tractor or JCB, and doesn't bother to overtake them.

8. People who drive jeeps, and don't bother to wash them. Ever.

9. People who assume "L" plate drivers can't drive. Everyone who sits in a car doesn't get any special training to drive a car, all they did is pass a test. Passing a test doesn't make you a better driver.

10. People who think a bus-lane is not a buslane. They drive down them whenever and never get caught.

11. Drivers of taxis who drive down buslanes without a customer.

12. Drivers of taxis in the City Centre at 3am with no light on, and no customer.

13. Drivers who talk up 2 spaces in a car-park. Usually vans and jeeps.

• Advertisement

I disagree with your posts so you're calling me stupid? Then you're explaining your "wit" to the other posters as if they are too stupid to understand? WTF is that all about?

You said the guy at the front of overtaking queue has the best view of the road, I disagree making the point that the best position is back a few car lengths from the "target" vehicle. So you can see past them. You can't do that and not leave enough space between you for another car to slip into the gap. Its a catch 22, but there it is.

You said you work out the distance based on the vanishing point of the verges, I disagree as that doesn't make allowances for vehicles you can't see coming and which you don't know their speed.

As for doing a technical course well, most people can't follow the basics of the rules of the road which is hardly very difficult. So the chances of success with a more complicated course are slim to none.

It would be more constructive if you could make your points with out being condescending and making personal attacks. If you found my previous post offensive then you mistook its meaning since the smilie is to indicate its a joke.

If you were consistent you'd comment the code. As you were told to do in college.

"Book learning" <> (skill + experience + ability)

Advertisement