Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who are these idiots ???

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Ahh ... young grasshoppa, you have much to learn about reading the previous posts before commenting on them .... In your rush to show off your intellect with smart answers you prematurely post with more or less the same answer as the post you are trying to be sarcastic about .... grasshoppa, go slower next time!!...
    Originally posted by fenris
    I have to guess what is going on in other peoples heads and plan accordingly
    This looks mightily like:
    Originally posted by BigEejit
    overtake yourself if you judge they wont and there is enough space
    It is dangerous to make wild assumptions about other road users, you can infer some data but have to be ready in case you have got it wrong and never end up in a position where you are giving another road user the power of life and death over you if you can avoid it, not that I don't trust you all, well actually it is that I don't trust you all !

Ah no .... I'm not trusted by fenris .... :( ... Good advice there about inferring some data and being ready in case i got it wrong ... I'd never have thought of that Ted ....

You are (in your own arrogant way) assuming that we cant read the road and the likelyhood of another driver to do something?, we all know that any driver out there (including me, you and every other driver on the planet) could do something horrendously stupid that could endanger our respective lives ... does this mean that we stop overtaking that car that has made no attempt to see the road ahead of a 20T truck, not bloody likely, you give them a chance and if they are not taking it, its your turn (unless the proverbial young fella in a 318i tries to overtake everyone) ... but there is a chance that he/she/it (hermaphrodites drive too!) could suddenly dive out into the middle of the road and take the side off your car ... shit happens, your plan goes out the window when faced with gross stupidity .... we all weigh the risks and act accordingly, you cant factor in extremely incompetent / stupid road users ... you just hope that they arent right in front of you or behind you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,549 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Kananga
    If you don't have enough time to overtake the entire line, with room to spare, in one go then you should not have started the overtaking manoeuvre.

Fully agree with this. I would never attempt such a manoeuvre without being confident this is the case. However RicardoSmith and BrianD3 have rightly pointed out that in the real world things could upset this plan

There is also the issue of speed while overtaking. I am a very considerate and courteous driver and not a begrudger. I will let anybody overtake me if they wish to do so, will anticipate the possibility that this is the case, and I will accommodate them in any way I can. I've had my full license for 16 years and have never been involved in any accident, nor have I any penalty points (yet). I do overtake when appropriate and safe. I drive a fairly powerful car. I am concerned about breaking the speed limit while overtaking on a single carriageway road

I feel it is the safest way for me to overtake any cars using the maximum acceleration possible. This means that for overtaking a single car doing 50 in a 60 zone I would probably go up to 80 overtaking (just for a few seconds). Overtaking say 5 cars in one manoeuvre my speed would go to 100+

So I am breaking the speed limit doing this. The latter manoeuvre would take say 10 seconds at full acceleration going over 100 or it would take say 30 seconds without breaking the speed limit. I would like to know what your view is on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Umm theres definately times when its safer to overtake more than one vehicle than just one at a time. For one it minimises your time on the wrong side of the road. But its against the law isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭BrianD3

But its against the law isn't it?

AFAIK it's not illegal. There's nothing in the rules of the road about it. Plus if it were illegal then it would also have to be applied to motorways and would result in a ridiculous amount of weaving in and out between lanes.

As for the whole "cutting in" argument a bit of common sense is needed here. If you come up behind 4 closely spaced tailgating cars then if you start to overtake you better make sure that you have enough room to take them all in one go. There is a big onus on the overtaking vehicle to do it safely. However that doesn't mean that the 4 cars are in the right either.

People here have said that other drivers have cut in in front of them and forced them to brake when they were leaving a sufficent gap. Well if you're forced to brake you were TAILGATING i.e. NOT leaving a sufficient gap. At 50 mph you should be leaving a gap of at least 50 metres. An average car is 5 metres. Work it out. There is ample room for an overtaking car to move into that space without causing anyone to take evasive action. The only action that the following car will have to take is just reduce their speed momentarily using a slight throttle adjustment to maintain the 50 metre gap at 50 mph.

People seem to have this idea that they "own" the braking space in front of their car. This is just plain wrong. You don't own any part of the road. It's up to you to create a braking space in front of you. Other drivers are not responsible for your braking space.

It's funny in all the times I've been overtaken in a queue of traffic, I've NEVER ONCE had to brake or take evasive action. Why?
    A) Because I always leave plenty of space in front of me for someone to overtake into
    B) Because I'm always aware of what's happening around me, so am not taken by surprise when someone overtakes me

Another thing - what constitutes a queue? Take 8 cars. The first 4 are bunched up together. The second 4 are bunched up together. But there's a 150 metre gap between the last car in bunch 1 and the first car in bunch 2. If car 8 overtakes the 3 cars directly in front of him and moves into that 150 metre gap, is that dangerous overtaking? Did he cut in? Does the first car in bunch 2 "own" that 150 metre gap? Does he have the right to speed up to close the 150 metre gap and deter car 8 from overtaking? Answer to all of these is surely NO.

As I said a bit of common sense is needed. There's been quite a lot of muppetry in this thread already.

Finally I'd just like to reiterate my contempt for the scumbags who speed up to block other drivers from overtaking. Muppets like this should get a life ban from driving. The argument that they're doing it because they fear for their lives is horse****. When people are nervous and fear for their lives on the road they generally do one thing - slam on the brakes as hard as possible. I stand by my begrudgery argument. They speed up because
    A) They're jealous of other people's cars
    B) They're jealous of other people's driving ability i.e they're jealous that someone is decisive enough, confident enough and has good enough judgement to overtake quickly and safely with no dawdling or messing.

'Nuff said

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Yes, you are right everybody is jealous of you lovely car and godlike driving ability, that must be it..... nice ego, masage, masage, it will be all right in the morning, everybody will get out of the way on the road, oh yes don't forget to let everybody know if you are traveling any distance, as it is important for the rest of us to know that the centre of the universe is moving.

sarchasm = the gap between those who get it and those that don't.

carchasm = ????

Driving is not about you, it is about getting there, put the ego away !

• Advertisement

Yes, you are right everybody is jealous of you lovely car and godlike driving ability, that must be it..... nice ego, masage, masage, it will be all right in the morning, everybody will get out of the way on the road, oh yes don't forget to let everybody know if you are traveling any distance, as it is important for the rest of us to know that the centre of the universe is moving.

sarchasm = the gap between those who get it and those that don't.

carchasm = ????

Driving is not about you, it is about getting there, put the ego away !

Having a bad day? No need to take this personally. Its only a discussion.

The whole point of this is about how annoying people impeding the process of others is. Some people seem to think that noone is allowed overtake them or drive faster than them. Incidentally some people also drive because they enjoy it and not actually to get anywhere.

Having a great day to be honest ! :D

Taking things personally ????
    Are we doing a teeny weeny little bit of projection here ????

So a post about not taking driving personally can lead to such accusations !!!

I am glad I don't live in your head, sound like an interesting place to visit for a laugh now and again but you wouldn't want to live there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by BrianD3
    They speed up because
    A) They're jealous of other people's cars
    B) They're jealous of other people's driving ability i.e they're jealous that someone is decisive enough, confident enough and has good enough judgement to overtake quickly and safely with no dawdling or messing.
    :eek:

Lost for words. If vanity is such an issue I'm surprised these people can even look at the road, you'd think they'd be spendin their time looking at themselves in the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭BrianD3

carchasm = ????
    What the hell are you on about now? This isn't the first time in this thread that you've attempted to be smart/sarcastic/ironic or whatever. Save the sarcasm for face to face discussions, because it just doesn't have the desired effect when used on an internet forum such as this. You may think that you're displaying your "superior" intellect by using sarcasm in this thread, but in fact you're just coming across as condescending, patronising and arrogant. If you've got something to say, say it straight out, OK?
    Lost for words. If vanity is such an issue I'm surprised these people can even look at the road, you'd think they'd be spendin their time looking at themselves in the mirror.
    Alright genius, if it's not jealousy then what is it? Instead of slamming my theory, why not tell me what you think? Answer me this - why do drivers speed up when other drivers try to overtake? Forget about queues, we're talking about one car overtaking another car. Well?

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by unkel

So I am breaking the speed limit doing this. The latter manoeuvre would take say 10 seconds at full acceleration going over 100 or it would take say 30 seconds without breaking the speed limit. I would like to know what your view is on this?

I'm in 100% agreement with you here, in my opinion reducing the time spent on the wrong side of the road is more important (ie safer) than keeping to the speed limit - within reason.

I do overtake multiple cars, but only after assessing the situation carefully.

I am also one of the first people to pull in to the hard shoulder in you come up behind me - ask any of my passengers.

Courtesy and awareness are things that are sadly lacking on our roads.

For the record: 32, Saab 2.0t Conv:cool:

• Advertisement

If you've got something to say, say it straight out, OK?

We have tried that, many many times over the last few days - it didn't work.
    carchasm = ???? What the hell are you on about now?

my point exactly.

you're just coming across as condescending, patronising and arrogant

Tried logic, didn't work, thought I would step across into your world for a while.

I am sorry that you feel that way, but it is your decision to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ha ha ha!

So BrianD3 thinks we're all jealous of him?
    Or maybe when he's sitting in the car he smugly says
    "they're all looking at me. they're jealous of me and my car"

Jealosy. oh dear <wipes eyes>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by BrianD3
    Alright genius, if it's not jealousy then what is it? Instead of slamming my theory, why not tell me what you think? Answer me this - why do drivers speed up when other drivers try to overtake? Forget about queues, we're talking about one car overtaking another car. Well?

BrianD3

You seem to know everything else, why do you need me to tell you this?

Well, here goes. Why does a car speed up when being overtaken? Haven't a clue. I don't have much insight into the minds of anyone who does that. I could hazard a guess (I think I already did) but probably wouldn't be right. I'd be pretty sure it's not jealousy though. In the same why I can't fathom why vanity is an issue with a car. What I do know is this: For some people, myself included, a car is a method of getting from one place to another (remote) place which is quicker and less strenuous than walking. That's it. That's what a car is. It doesn't make me more of a man. It doesn't make my cock bigger. It doesn't mean I'm smarter, richer or faster than anyone else. The accellerator pedal makes it go, the brake pedal makes it stop. It's a car. It was made by some folk in Japan/Korea/Germany and it does not have magic powers.

Some people get stressed when driving a car and it effects them in different ways. Some folk want to get where they're going as quickly as possible. Some folk want to take their time. Some folk will just go as fast as traffic and the speed limit will allow, some folk aren't happy with that and want to go faster. All of these folk are on the same roads at the same time.

Personally, I'm happy to stick to the speed limit. I'll overtake when opportunity presents itself, but I'm not in a rush. I estimated how long it would take me to get there before I left. I'm not gonna cut anyone up. I'm not going to pull into someone's 2 second gap to the car in front. I'm not trying to make you feel inadequate. I'm not trying to impress a girl. I'm not going to drive up your ass, looking to force you into the hard shoulder. If I'm driving well, you won't even remember me. I don't care what you drive. I don't care how big your cock is. I'm going where I'm going, you're going where you're going. It doesn't matter to me. I hope it doesn't matter to you. I think that's a good way to be.

Dunno why some of you have to get all personal about this stuff and make personal remarks. I know its an emotive/automotive subject but really the worlds a big place and theres room for alternative view points and lively debate with out getting all defensive and lashing out with snide remarks.

While I don't agree with everyones points theres obviously people out there that hate others overtaking them, in any size or shape of car. Theres also people out there who have a problem if some has a nicer car than them. Drive a flashy car around the city and you'll find a lot fewer people let you out and and alot more people block you off and cut you up. Drive an old banger around and everyone lets you out in case you scratch their car. Thats why cars get keyed. No point keying an old banger. Only new/flashy cars get keyed. Theres a similar mentality on the roads. Maybe you've been lucky and not experienced it thus far.

Personally I have had people that have actively tried to stop me overtaking them. Speeding up to 80+ on straights and slowing down and staying almost in the middle of the road on other sections. Tailgating is another means of doing this aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A thought just occured to me ! What if everyone posting on this thread met on the M50 some day, I wonder how much affect logic and patience will have !

Anyway I have to say I find a lot of logic in what BrianD says. I drive an old but nice well kept car that capable of a good turn of speed, mind you I prefer to cruise, but there is always some muppet - probably named Darren or Jonno or something - driving a Starlet with a glanza badge, obligitory large exhaust pipe and spoiler who wants to prove something and then gets annoyed when I don't bite or move out of his/her way - a bit like penis envy !!

Tinky

Advertisement