Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fatal Deviation

• 25-11-2003 2:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure some of you know of this movie... the greatest (due to its brilliantly terribleness) Irish karate movie known to man.
    The Blizzard of Odd brought it to my attention, and they had more news on it last night, including the fact that there is now a fansite http://www.fataldeviation.net. go there and check it out if you dont already know of this movie. Sadly the shop is offline at the moment, but i hope to get my hands on a copy of the DVD soon... anyone know where you can get it besides the site??

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I saw it last night too. F*cking hilarious! I'm soooo tempted to buy it now, having seen just how awful it is. Especially the American bloke killing the IRA guy who had a hint of an East-German accent, and the stereotypical Galwegian redhead virgin girl - fantastic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

i think that was a different movie, but it had the guy from fatal deviation in it too, that looked cool as well, but id prefer to see bad camera work and a sweaty micky graham at work in the original

and the classic final scene:
    the story is that the herois out to get some kingpin who killed his dad, and along the way, he kills the kingpins son (graham i think)... at the end when the hero has crushed the kingpins regime, hes in a park, and hes gotten the girl etc....
    lets call the hero, hero and the kingpin, kingpin
    kingpin sneaks up and pins hero down, pointing a shotgun at his chest
    (kingpin): you killed my son, now Im going to kill you, like i killed your father...
    sudden kung-fu move and kingpin is disarmed and thrown to the ground where he is faced with the same gun in HIS chest.
    (hero): you killed my father, now Im going to kill you, like i killed your son...
    *bang*
    the end.... superb

Im sure I missed some of the plot there as I havent seen the entire movie, anyone who has, please post the actuall dialouge if i messed up

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Wheeler

My sister is the researcher for blizzard of odd......send her an email whelanm@rte.ie and she might be able to help you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

wow, cool thanks

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

You can get it here:

http://www.risingsunproductions.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_44&products_id=285

Anyone remember the name of the film that was profiled on Blizzard the other night? The one set in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

oh my god i have to see that

your man jimmy is from meath, i saw him in bucks in athboy with vaseline on his face a good few times

think a lot of it was filimed in trim and oldcastle in meath,

a girl in my class Nicole O’Sullivan was in it, she dumped her boyfriend for Jimmy(she thought he would make her a star), that site says she is a beauty not sure about that christ she has such bad teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

BLIZZARD OF ODD REVIEW
    Now we've been trying to track down this next movie for almost a year, scoring bootleg VHS copies in late night drinking clubs where they're passed from movie buff to movie buff in plain brown envelopes. Believe us, if you've actually seen a full, watchable version of this movie you are part of an uber trendy elite. Fatal Deviation was made by director Simon Linscheid around the badlands of Trim back in 1998, and as well as being the first feature length Irish martial arts movie, it also boasts the screen acting debut of one Mikey Graham, the boyzone member who was cruelly dubbed the five percenter, on account of his only getting only 5% of the fan mail. Bless him.

But happily Mikey is redeemed by being 100% the best actor in this movie. All around him the other actors deliver their lines with the robotic monodrone of Fair City robot clones whose batteries are wearing down, but Mikey manages a kind of fledgling Sean Penn cool. I don't care what they say, the boy's got presence. Now presence isn't a term you'd apply to the lead actors in Fatal Deviation, they're present, yes, like they're just….there. Fatal Deviation tells the story of a Karate Fella, let's call him Buzz Lightyear, who's sprung from a reform school after long years spent paying for serious crimes against the acting profession. He returns to a wrecked family home where he's tortured by flashbacks of a beardy man who's heartbreakingly trying to get the fire lit. But he can't coax an updraft no matter how hard he tries. Sad. Now the firestarter turns out to be Buzz Lightyears' Daddy, murdered some years back by the boss of the local Murphiosa family, The Opranos, so there's Mikey Oprano, 'ha, win the karate competition and we take full control of the Londis'.

Yes, the Londis store in Trim is pivotal to the action in Fatal Deviation, that's where our hero meets our heroine, who looks uncannily like a young Julie Goodyear, Bette Lynch, ye remember, used to be in Corrie. Romance blossoms when young Julie brings Buzz a romantic pressie. Here's a little thing to remind you of me. A tart. Mmmm. Later Buzz is himself invited to take part in the karate competition. But this is a film that's taut with moral dilemmas. When daddy Oprano finds out that Buzz has been invited to compete, threatening his dominion over the Londis store, he has Julie kidnapped and held captive in Mikey's caravan hideout. Yeah, women are just gagging to come back to me caravan.

But If Buzz competes in the karate competition, Julie dies…what should he do. This being an issue of scruples Buzz takes advice from a sect of local kung fu monks who happily advise him to lose the bitch, enter the competition and take over the Londis for himself. Well, otherwise there'd be no real fightin, and when the competition starts we get lots and lots of real fightin'. Now in Fatal Deviation Buzz mightn't be the world's most accomplished actor, but he's very good at sneaking up. And the rest of the cast are really great at falling down.

Champion sneaking up and Olympian falling down, there are Jean Claude Van Damme movies that have made millions from less. But of course our Buzz is less the muscles from Brussels. No, more the Geek From Dulleek. In the end Buzz wins the competition, sneaks up on the caravan, and of course, being the hero he rescues the girl and they go on a roadside picnic near Dead Man's Gulch in Athboy. Beat that, Fair City. Now Fatal Deviation falls squarely into that so bad its' great category of movies, movies made for watching with your mates after the pub on a Friday night and luckily the makers are well aware of this. They even give us a selection of hilarious out-takes. And pity the poor director who has to coach this guy. But that'll stand to him if he ever has to work with Keanu Reeves. Now Fatal Deviation led to greater things for Buzz, known in real life as James Bennett, he appeared alongside Jackie Chan in the big budget martial arts movie High Binders shot in Dublin last summer. And as for Julie, you can probably spot her reliving her glory days in the toilet roll aisle of Londis in Trim, a Londis that's happily still in the power of the good guys. So, feel free to pop in next time you're down that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

on that risingsun website which isn't $29.95 ???

Anyone get the dvd somewhere else cheaper ?

Advertisement