Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD - D.Dalton. Moron?

• 25-11-2003 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

[2.Comp Sci Den. - Comp Arch.]

Whats the deal with this bloke? How big a moron can you get? Suddenly practicals are worth NOTHING and we NOW have an exam worth 20% of year NEXT WEEK! ACK! :confused: This guys an idiot! :D

Anyone from last year get by this course? Did he pull a similar stunt?

I'm fuming over this! ARG!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You should bring this up with your class rep or SU education officer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

UCD Comp Sci has had to devolve from marking practicals due to plagiarism. Every year, people are doing well in their practicals, but flopping in their exams cos they just copied code from someone else.

It's shit, but that's the way it is. Besides, you don't want to be marked in Verilog practicals. It's a big pile of poo. You're better off with an exam.

And for the record, Dalton is dead sound. Really helpful if you just go up and chat to him (most are tbh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

:D Sorry, was just frustrated when he announced all this just over a week before an exam thats 20% of marks! Having seen what i've seen so far I'd rather get some marks from practicals, I think i'll be fuppered in an exam with all that stuff! :( And i thought Alexy taught a tough course! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Len_007

If you have nothing of use to add...... well don't add.

John (Lump)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I just hope the exam isn't too hard. Someone who's repeating said that he said it was based on the tutorial sheets and that it actually wasn't. :mad: Hope he doesn't do a ted cox!

• Advertisement

The exams gonna be a biznitch!! :( The "sample" paper he emailed out isn't even relevant! The guys a person I don't get on with! He may be decent as a person or whatever, but as a lecturer, ugh, I'd learn more if I paid attention!! :D

Be nice....... Stop abusing some one who obviously quite a few people on here know. If you have issues with one of your tutors well then raise it with your Student rep. or your student union, or your course programme leader. I dont mind you saying that things arent going well. But less of the abuse.

John (Lump)

Apologies Lump. It is hard to remain civil, when no matter how many people know him, he treats us like this. Editing the harshness of my posts is one thing, but changing altogether what I say I found a bit off, :( (re: "if I paid attention", not said by me, there began a rant). :(

Anywho, just thought I'd add this:

After all of the above (messing with times, marking schemes, prwacticals)... After assuring us many times the exam would be all multiple choice (figured we could cope with that), on the morning of the exam as we enter the hall he announces "First 30% is MCQ, rest is long calculations". We are now doing our best to do something about thhis. We have spoken to Head of CS Dept.

Does anyone have any help on what we should do? IMO what he has done here is not on, and it counts for 20% of our year. And we appear to have no class rep this year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

Dalton seems a nice guy alright but the subject is the hardest by far out of the ones we have,even maths is easier...i mean any past students know how screwed we are in summer...is it tuff?....he told us 70% failed ffs i mean that was a nice msg at the start:confused:

Is it any wonder 70% fail when he messes about with the course structure up to (LITERALLY!!) 20 seconds before the Christmas exam starts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

It was unfair the way he threw in some terms thta we'd never seen before! And I think he was relying on the stuff denominated entry people did in 1st year, but some people are in gen. sci and didn't do that stuff!!

• Advertisement

Denominateds didn't do any of that last year, at least, I didn't anyways! :confused: Nor did anyone I know. Phew!

The process has begun to sorting this out the proper way. Will take time tho. But safe to say there's a fair few of us trying to do something. Personally I want that exam voided, whether or not that'll ever happen is another story tho! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Lump Einstürzende is perfectely right in complaining about Dalton he is the WORST lecturer in Comp Sci without a doubt, he's terrible does not have a *clue*, should not be lecturing FULL_STOP. By the way Syth if the guy repeating, who told you all this stuff, is called Kevin ignore him he is a lazy fu5k!:D :D , he never even came to half his lectures. I on the other hand did and can say they helped be not one bit in the exams, he ask about stuff that never even came up in lectures let alone tutorials.

In that case pushing for summer to be worth 100% mightn't be the best of moves! :( Lol, is that Kevin guy the one who looks like he's never ever washed his hair?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

Couldn't this thread be taken as libellous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yes that's why I said put and end to it, it is defamatory to say stuff like that about anyone. Hence I'm locking the thread. If you have issues with a tutor..... get a life, get some other people who feel the same and go and talk to the relevant people in college instead of moaning on here.

End of Story.

John

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement