Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can an employed person claim?

Options
  • 25-11-2003 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I will admit stupidity and lack of schrewdness when it comes to income tax and tax benefits........so I ask;

How can I find out what I can claim for against my tax every year as an allowance?

I own a house, drive a round trip of 32 miles to work in a petrol car, pay the local council's bin charges, dont have to wear a supplied uniform in work and am on the higher tax bracket.

Just wondering where I could find out how to go about finding out what I can maximise on tax benefits for an individual based on his circumstances.

Thanks in advance,
    James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

Not a lot,

You should be getting TRS for your mortgage

You will get nothing for driving to work

You can claim back tax on the bin charges if you paid them on time.

You can claim back interest on home improvement loans or other investments AFAIK

You can claim back some medical expenses

fill in a form 12 that you can download from www.revenue.ie and see what happens, but be careful I know a lady who ended up owning tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Some trades/professions have special allowances - See Tommy McGibney's website for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Ba$tard
    drive a round trip of 32 miles to work in a petrol car
    Get your employer to provide a monthly commuter ticket - tax free. You should get deductions for pension, health insurance, all council charges

If you have a spare room(s), rent it out tax free for up about €7,500 / year.
    Originally posted by Big al
    You can claim back interest on home improvement loans or other investments AFAIK
    This needs to be done in conjunction with your mortgage interest relief.

Advertisement