Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP clients on Win2000 Server - net session problems?

Options
  • 25-11-2003 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Now, I'm no tech junkie but I'd be ok with computers so I'll go through what my problems are and where I think they are coming from.

I have a wireless network set up (by someone else who is too hard to get hold of hence i'm posting here) with 11 computers on Windows XP and a server running Windows 2000 Server on a 54g wireless network through an access point. The network seems to be running fine peer to peer and I'm pinging everyone grand from every computer.

I am having problems with sharing however. At the moment all users are authenticating through the server. Every morning when I come in some computers might not connect to shared drives. And usually don't. The error message i get is this...

"an error occured while reconnecting F: to \\myserver\shared.
    Microsoft windows network: the local device name is already in use.
    this connection has not been restored."

Most of the time i need to reboot all the machines to get them all to be able to share again.

So far from what I can see there are a couple of ways of getting around this problem which seems to be a windows glitch or something and they are to either keep a wireless session active forever or to create a login script that might map the drives better.

Now I have never written a script in my life so I have no clue how to do it other than what I have briefly read and I remember reading something about how to change the timeout on an active session but I can't remember where I saw it. :)

Anyway I may be wrong, I'm no techie, but if anyone has seen this problem before or might know what _is_ going on maybe you might fill me in or help me out.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

The handiest thing to do would be to create a logon script, open up notepad and type the following:
    net use h: /d(This deleates existing mappings to that letter)
    net use i: /d
    net use j: /d

net use h: \\server\drive name
    net use i: \\server\drive name
    net use j: \\server\drive name

Save the notepad as logon.bat, then place the logon script in the following folder C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol\Propylon-dublin2\scripts on your server.

Then finally on each user profile, go to properties then go to the the profile tab, in the logon script box just type logon.bat

When the user logs in the script will run, deleating the existing connections and mapping the drives, it will do this each time the user logs on keeping the mapped drives ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Thats actually what I ended up doing in the end but I stuck a few scripts on autorun instead of login because they wouldn't work properly as login scripts for some reason. Found a nice little way of running programs in the background while you log on. And they are mapping all the drives for me.

However there are still othe issues there which I can't identify nevermind fix. I think there are a load of problems with whatever way the wireless network is running. it just seems so slow. The script that I made maps all 11 drives and it takes about 40secs to finish one 'net use x: \\computer\drive pass /user:xxx'.... very annoying.

Advertisement