Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine Nations

Options
  • 25-11-2003 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Nine Nations

Seems like a good idea but i think they would have to bring in the pumas aswell.
    if they really want to capitalise on the world cup make a more meaningful competition i think Argentina need to be in this aswell!
    what are your thoughts on this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

`definately we need to spread the game around the world and try even out the teams so we dont get games like austrilia v nambia. teams like argentina should be in with the try nations because as seen this world cup they would be good enough and like italy in the six nations they will probably be the wipping boys but as time goes on they will get better and start to win matches and this in turn will bring rugby towards its goal of been a global sport

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

what meaning would the world cup in the context of this, it would be the same competition? Just with out the boring matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It would be a great competition but it would also kill off the World Cup.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by mike65
    It would be a great competition but it would also kill off the World Cup.
    I think they have to. In 4 years time plucky amateurs will be in real physical danger playing competitive matches against fulltime professionals. The full world cup format can probably support about 12 teams with a qualifying campaign between the lesser nations to get the last 4-5 spots. Or else run a B world cup that starts a month early with the 4 best teams being entered in the real world cup.

A regular tournament between the tri-nations and the 6 nations would be a good idea. The current ranking system was shown to be seriously flawed by Ireland's position and regular serious matches with the tri-nations would aid a better ranking system. Currently Australia and New Zealand don't take summer tours in europe entirely seriously; they like to win them but don't necessarily field their best possible team. It should be different in the next couple of years seriously as they will all want to beat England to have the holder's scalp.

Argentina should be invited to play in any tournament of this nature as they are easily as good as Italy and deserve the chance to improve in line with the rest of the nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

the more matches on TV the more kids will be interested then more players and then more matches-
    still need some rule changes though
    what about this 13 man idea? taking nos 11 and 14 off the pitch?:confused:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ur mentor
    the more matches on TV the more kids will be interested then more players and then more matches-
    still need some rule changes though
    what about this 13 man idea? taking nos 11 and 14 off the pitch?:confused:

not a bad idea, give the game a bit more of a free flow. teams like fiji would love it.

Originally posted by spanner
    not a bad idea, give the game a bit more of a free flow. teams like fiji would love it.

I don't think it would work well. The game would just become more defensive again. If you remove both wingers from both sides then you don't have the speed merchants out wide and their defensive duties are less necessary if the other side doesn't have wingers. The only position that would suffer would be fullback as they might have less freedom to run forward.

The problem with removing players from a rugby pitch is that what you lose in defence you also lose in attack, unless they make the drift defence illegal (impossible) you can't change the nature of the game. It goes back to the argument on the value of drop goals - if you devalue them defences just get better as they no longer need to worry about the possibility.

Originally posted by henbane
    I don't think it would work well. The game would just become more defensive again. If you remove both wingers from both sides then you don't have the speed merchants out wide and their defensive duties are less necessary if the other side doesn't have wingers. The only position that would suffer would be fullback as they might have less freedom to run forward.

The problem with removing players from a rugby pitch is that what you lose in defence you also lose in attack, unless they make the drift defence illegal (impossible) you can't change the nature of the game. It goes back to the argument on the value of drop goals - if you devalue them defences just get better as they no longer need to worry about the possibility.

not sure what you are trying to say, you seem to be contradicting yourself or maybe i just aint understanding you right.

i think now days with the rugby league style defence defending like a wall it makes the game very boring. i think if we only had one center and then the winger it would give the likes of jason robinson and denis hickey more room to run which will in turn give more free flowing game.

you seem to be clarifying my point by saying that removing one player from the back line will relieve the defensive duties of the back line. but you also say it will make it more defensive....explain?

Originally posted by spanner
    you seem to be clarifying my point by saying that removing one player from the back line will relieve the defensive duties of the back line. but you also say it will make it more defensive....explain?

Reread what I wrote and it is a little convoluted - I know what I mean but I'll try again.

If you remove one player from the back line on one side, the same player is missing on the other side. Both sides lose attacking options and the defences do not need to cover the area that position's attacks would normally be coming from. If you remove wingers, you lose attacking options and the game is less interesting as the defence of the other side has less to worry about. If you remove a centre you lose an option to draw cover and create space for the other players around him.

Make any more sense? Basically 15 players creates a balance and the defensive nature of the game is not going away. If they want the game to be more freeflowing the referees should be told to sin bin anyone slowing ball down after giving one warning to the team.

The problem is not the drift defence as much as it is the gross cynicism which is mistakenly called professionalism in the modern game. Drifting slightly off-topic but I think this conversation probably already is.

Advertisement